LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: College Apps

Images
    I went to UNCW graduated in 2005. Highly recommend it. Highly. Good surf, water's warm, beach is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer17 View Post
    I go to college of charleston and i have been surfing about 4-5 days a week. hard school to beat man
    Yeah man, I absolutely agree!!! Loved C of C! Graduated there in 2003 and lived there for two more years out at Folly, just surfing, working, and traveling. It's kinda tough to get into but well worth it. My parents weren't to happy about the price, so even though they still payed tuition and rent, I got a part-time job freshman year and claimed in-state a year later for a big discount. Checkout Trident Tech or Charleston Southern if C of C is too difficult to get into or too pricey but you want a bigger city.

The town is really cool with tons of character and charm. The girls are sweet and mesmerize you with their accents. The parties were epic and bars are countless. Lived off campus soph-senior year and rode my cruiser or longboard to class every day, seems like the majority do, and took my car to the beach afterwards.... only about 8 miles or 12-15 mins. The frat scene was weak and only about 15% of the whole campus (about 10,000 total students) when I was there but you did still occasionally see the bow tie, pastel shirt, rainbow sandals, and glasses w/ croakies guy at night.

I live up here in Salisbury now near the college and do know that it has a pretty good reputation and is also about 30 mins from OC. Sandytoes is def not a good representative of the student body here. Girls are cute and I enjoy watching them run by regularly. Not on the party scene but do hear a house party hopping down the street every once in a while. Waves here are great when it's on, plus there are quick road trips up or down the coast depending on the swell. Also, often took trips to FL from Charleston, being it was only 4 hrs to Jacksonville and 6 to Spanish House/Sebastians.

PM me if you have any specific questions about either, I'm pretty well versed in both. Good luck!
    Last edited by wang; Oct 12, 2011 at 03:21 AM.

Nah there is no OST> Alpha Sig is the only frat wroth knowing in town. Also science is for geeks.

whatever you do, don't let proximity to the beach be the decider or limit yourself by that. go to the school that has the best reputation for what you want to do and make sure that thing is marketable, although you never can tell what lies ahead. you have the rest of your life to surf, and if you go to a good school, pick a good major, you can make a good living. that being said, i hope you find an awesome school a stone' s throw away from some awesome waves!
    Sandytoes, the only friends of mine that have jobs are the ones that majored in a science. i'd rather be a dork with a job than "cool" with no job.

Images
    don't be a nerd
    college is for nerds
    be a pot dealer instead - good money in that

better than teaching in new jersey, eppeldaa! i majored in history with certification in secondary education and have no job and only went on two interviews in the two years since i graduated. i should have toughed it out and majored in math, even though i am not good at it.

Images
    Business Major is well rounded enough to get you a job pretty much anywhere... well, not these days.

College may get you a few rungs on the ladder, but hard work and perseverance over time is what allows you to climb to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahsky View Post
    College may get you a few rungs on the ladder, but hard work and perseverance over time is what allows you to climb to the top.
    Well said. I work and am learning from four different guys in my office that all make over 6 figures, yet none of them finished college and/or even went. Two of them rarely even work anymore, they have employees do it all for them (leveraged their time). I have the most schooling and make a third of what the lowest earning one makes. I also work a lot harder and longer days (at times), knowing I will be in their shoes one day.

I went down to UNCW last year... a bunch of stupid bull**** happened and i was suspended till summer semester of this year. As much as it was a great time there and it was warm, hurricane swells were epic there but in general the waves sucked, the day after i came home it was straight back into OC drainers, thank god for that. Now i go to wor-wic 2 days a week and can surf just about anytime i want. I still keep in touch with my friends from down there and there has only been like 2 swells in the last year that were better there then up here. Oh and its still about the same time distance from OBX.