LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What do the big guys ride?

Hey all,
    The recent thread about surfing for older guys put a similar question in my mind.

What do the big guys here ride? I'm 6'6 / 230lbs. It makes board selection a special challenge.

Let's hear it. (sorry for not searching the forum... I know I'm guilty)

Im 230 as well, I am ridding a 6'8 CI Biscuit. Its a pretty nice board for us bigger guys. Lots of float and is alot of fun to ride. I was looking at a 6'4 Firewire Sweet potato and wondered how that would work for us bigger guys.

Bill

Kinda depends on what you've been riding... Obviously, you know you're not going to pick up a stock 6'2.

The general rule is as boards get shorter, the more accurate the volume has to be. Meaning... your age, fitness level, experience, local break... all matter MORE in terms of cubic units of foam and finished weight of the board (materials and construction).

Figure this... if the average male at prime physical age (27) is 175 and 5'10".. ish.. and rides a 6'1 x 2 1/4 (average) scale that up. You could ride a 6'10... or a 7'0... or a 6'8... depending. Keep in mind we're talking typical shortboards here... which is a numbers game.

I'm much older, and a bit bigger, than average (47, 6'1, 190) and I ride a 6'6. But my fish is 6'1 and my East Coast Gun is 7'0. My log is 9'3.

Have a conversation with your shaper... you can get a lot more out of that than a few lines of text on a forum like this... where everybody's an "expert,"

(I know I'm guilty)
    Last edited by LBCrew; Oct 6, 2011 at 01:19 AM.

6'5",230,then add all the thick wetsuit weight.i get a thick board 3+"with a raised-deck for thinned out rails under 3".6'5"x22"fish,6'7"MR,6'8"thruster,6'9"single, all three 21" = In The Eye,Cape Hatteras.lb,please edit out that last line,you caught yourself

+1 on the talk to your shaper.
    If you work with a local shaper, then you will be even better off, as they can make a board that will work in your surf and for your style.

5'10 200.......6'6-6'8".....i prefer thick rails.....more float, easier paddling......been searching for something smaller and surprised to find alot of options, Kech makes some sweet stuff for bigger guys.....I want to talk to Mahady or Wynn soon....as soon as I can free up the cash...

Thanks guys. Especially LBcrew for all the good info. I should have mentioned what I have now.
    6'4" Walden Retro fish
    7'4" Cosmic Bull funboard

I miss a lot of waves on the Walden. The Cosmic Bull board was a custom for a guy that happened to be my weight. Since I like it but would like to work down shorter I'll try to find the shaper (Tom Eaton) in the spring. Unfortunately Cosmic Bull has "gone mobile".

Anybody else out there over 200lb?

I'm 6'4" and 220 lbs, I have a board model that I make for bigger guys, I just finished a custom 8' for a local guy who is 6'2" and 285 lbs and in his words, in the the 30 yrs he has been surfing this is the first board that was custom fit to his size and ability. My go to board is a 6'8", I have a 7' big guy shortboard you can try, come by my shop and grab it
    Tom
    www.mahadysurfboards.com
    www.mahadysurfboards.blogspot.com

I'm 6'3" 210 lbs. Have a 6'6"x19 1/4 2 1/2 thruster, 8'8" hydro hull, 7' x18 1/2 2 3/8 gun, 7' 6" funboard. Gonna go wider and thicker next thruster I could use alittle more volume.

5'9", 205 lbs. A few years ago was talking to a shaper down in Florida, Tom Neilson, who sponsored my nephew. Ended up with a 6'5" custom fish, 2 3/4" thick for float. I probably could have gone an inch or two shorter, but I love this board. Prior to getting, I thought I might be destined for a life of longboarding. Grew up on a twin fin, so I love the quad set up on this board. Highly recommended.
    http://www.tomneilsonshapes.com/surf...oatey_fish.php