LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ready for Winter
    For the quickest, cheapest best waves and weather possible from the East Coast go to Puerto Rico on Jetblue and check out this surfer's special at www.vrbo.com listing # 214129 with surfboards included(saves you $100 per board and the hassle/damage done by the airlines). call me the owner with any ?'s
    P.S. We can guarantee the best rate so ignore the online price
    James
    516 633-6861

Mahady-Im going to give you a holler...I am 6-3 and around 375lbs...I compete in strongman, highland games, etc...and have been surfing for close to 20 years. I currently ride a custom Ricky Carroll 10-0 thats about 4 1/2 to 5 thick. I am happy with it...am able to ride it like a shortboard, turns, hitting the lip, etc, and it supports me well...but am always looking for something different. Am planning on dropping some size...and see where it goes...Let me know what you think....
    Last edited by Beef; Oct 6, 2011 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks to everybody. I'm abstaining from another surf purchase until spring but this is all good to know.

Neptune, if your other posts were like that you deserve a ban.

6' 190lb not a huge guy but big for a surfer. I ride 6'4 x 20 x 2.5 in most conditions. I think that is about the minimum amount of foam that I am comfortable with. I don't like to go much longer than 7' though unless we are talking rhino chasers. I borrowed a 6'1 from a buddy in a pinch on a good day and I did catch waves on it but really just felt silly sitting there totally submerged. If we had to grovel that day it wouldn't have happened. Made me feel like a fat kid haha.

Man you guys ride some big boards. My Seed is 5'6 and my tech is 5'9. I had a board called a Bick that was like 8 but I traded that for a bong. PARTY!!!

Beef - Easy to see where that nickname came from. Do you ever train or compete @ Brute Strength Gym in Norfolk?

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef View Post
    I currently ride a custom Ricky Carroll 10-0 thats about 4 1/2 to 5 thick. QUOTE]
    Speaking of \"$1200\" Long Boards

JTS-No i havent...but i had a buddy who was involved in the management there that i kept in touch with.

Actually it was around a grand for that custom...

Its funny i am at a crossroads almost in my life it seems. I have always been big, but grew up in the surf/skate/snow scene in the 90s...and its hard balancing the two(Well at least being this big) I sometimes long for the days when i was younger and trying to emulate the fletcher brothers, ratboy collins, etc...doesnt seem i can do that now, but I should thank the Lord for allowing me to be able to be this size and surf and be this big...

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    I borrowed a 6'1 from a buddy in a pinch on a good day and I did catch waves on it but really just felt silly sitting there totally submerged.
    Sometimes it's not the volume, but the rocker. I did a 5'10 that floats me up to about my chest, but catches everything... magic rocker, along with the right template and volume DISTRIBUTION makes a low volumed board easier to paddle.

BTW... Greenlight has a few big guy boards available for test drive. Just stop in and ask. They're not up on the website, but they're in the shop. Check out the Barracuda.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Oct 6, 2011 at 05:38 PM.

Images
    Im 6'6", 200LBS and it's been rough all my life.
    I still have a feeling that my board(s) is not perfect for me.
    I have two boards:
    a 7'6" walden mini magic - good in almost anything but slow to turn;
    a 7' epoxy big guy tri fin - pretty thick - by R. French
    neither board is that good in OCMD - during Irene I was struggling - had to be very selective with the waves.
    sometimes i ask my buddies to try their boards but they just sink under me... they feel like a boogie board with the float...
    Blair at Chauncey's helps me find boards...