LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Sick! Gotta love free stuff. Me and my friends used to go dumpster diving back in middle and high school at the university in our town at the end of the semester when everyone was moving out. People would throw out stuff they couldnt fit in their car or whatever to take back home. We got a ton of Playstation and Super Nintendo games and all kinds of stereos and electronics. My favorite find was an old Sega game gear with a bunch of games, that thing was classic...

Images
    My first board was a 6'2 T&C Surf Designs thruster from the mid 80s pulled out of the trash can. It really wasn't in bad condition in all. It had some dings and wasn't definitely rode hard, but it was still water tight and had fins and rails in all right shape. Now at 10 years old it was a steep learning curve on that thing, but it was a free board. Free is for me.

And along the lines of dumpster diving, anybody ever go "miles hunting". My friends dad was a big time thrifty, and on Saturday mornings we'd drive around the neighborhood looking for packs of Marlboros on the ground and take the miles of the packs. We'd end up with 500 miles or more usually and save em up for the big payday, haha.

My first board in Hawaii was really thick/wide 6'6" T&C that I found on the side of my roomates girlfiends house. She didn't surf and sold it to me for $20. A few months went by before I cleaned and truley reapaired it only to find out it was a Ben Aipa. I surf with it for about 2 years before going up to the factory to upgrade. It was a sick shape that I would bring to the outer islands, etc. Locals always wanted to try it out. I still have it.

4. confused on miles hunting .. you would look for packs of cigs dropped on the ground??

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stayabovetheweather View Post
    confused on miles hunting .. you would look for packs of cigs dropped on the ground??
    Ya, we'd drive around the highways and local roads ripping the miles off the packs. You'd be surprised at how many people littered their ciggy packs, and didn't collect their miles. I don't think people litter them as much nowadays, but back then I'd find em everywhere. I scored some sweet gear thanks to Marlboro.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfrr View Post
    Ya, we'd drive around the highways and local roads ripping the miles off the packs. You'd be surprised at how many people littered their ciggy packs, and didn't collect their miles. I don't think people litter them as much nowadays, but back then I'd find em everywhere. I scored some sweet gear thanks to Marlboro.
    Like what kind of stuff did you get?

I found my first 3 boards in people trash within a week, different trash cans too! all were beat up pretty bad but they were free so nothing a little suncure couldn't hold together. first one was a 6'0" ultra light thruster, then a 6'1" pretty old school single fin wrv, then a pretty old school 6'6" twin fish. the thruster got destroyed in a hurricane. but the other 2 i still surf

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    Like what kind of stuff did you get?
    a collapsible bike and a tent