LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

'new' quad rear fin alignment

opinion of what i was shown/told about with the rear quad fins moved closer to the middle/stringer and so farther off the rail.please

Images
    I'm not sure if there is a coherent thought there... Maybe rephrase your ? to get a response. But at least you said please.

Images
    lol agreed

maybe this will help: http://www.surffcs.com/us/products/c...0-1679615d5b5d

Quote Originally Posted by Exit98Surf View Post
    I'm not sure if there is a coherent thought there... Maybe rephrase your ? to get a response. But at least you said please.

he's asking about fin placement, not the actual fin.

a picture would help, but i've never ridden a setup like you describe

sorry.
    my glasser told me about a new quad rear fin placement set-up.
    the rear fins are now moved closer to the center/stringer and farther away from the rail.
    if anyone knows about this,please tell me what you know/think about it.

its a trade off. less stability for more sensitivity in the tail.

He's likely talking about the McKee setup. A lot of people say it delivers the speed of a quad, but not the stiffness. There's the "rail" setup, with all four fins out on the rail, the "McKee" setup, with the rears much closer to the stringer, and the "Rusty" setup, that's somewhere in between. All are known, tested, reliable setups with distinct advantages and disadvantages.

As already said, it's a compromise. Moving the fins in any direction... fore/aft, together apart, spreading out the cluster or tightening up... affects speed, stability, sensitivity, drive, turning radius, etc. Combine fin placement with fin size, foil, cant, toe, base, flex, tip, etc... and you have a million different combinations to play with and fin tune your ride.

Then, start all over with your next board, because planshape, rocker, foil, etc... all has an impact too.

+1 on what LBCrew said.

Different strokes for different folks, and boards, and fin templates...

Thanks to LBCrew, I now know where I read it before... McKee
    Click this link:
    http://www.mckeesurf.com/brucemckee/multisystem.htm

Then click on "Quattro Nitty Gritty... Why and How" (blinking red on right hand side) There's a long dissertation about quad fin placement.

More info on two of the types of quad setups, I haven't shaped one with the Rusty setup (yet)

1. What I like to call a 'split keel' where the fins are close to the rail (like taking a large keel fin and splitting it, and spreading it out for water flow between the fins). The split keel is very pivoty and great on cutbacks and quick turns. Good for small to medium beach breaks.

2. Mckee quad setup where the quad trailers are more like a tri centerfin split and offset from the stringer a few inches. Mckee setups surf more like a tri fin with more stability but less turning. Good projection out of bottom turns though. Better on bigger waves and points.

~Brian
    www.greenlightsurfsupply.com
    Shape Your Surfing Experience