LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thanks lb and brian.that other thread was too technical for me,but this simplifies it.do either of you have preferences or dislike of either? why go with the mckee instead of just a tri?

I've ridden all three setups, and I can say McKee gives you better down-the-line speed than a thruster, and better hold in steep sections (which also translates into speed). It also carries more speed through turns... including bottom turns... but opens up the turning radius, which all quads do, as long as your talking about typical tail widths. I've found the McKee setup works best with standard tail widths. Also, as you might suspect, thrusters provide easier release off the top, and allow you to push the tail around with the back foot a lot easier than a thruster for tail slides and fins out top turns.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJAQ View Post
    I now know where I read it before... McKee
    Click this link:
    http://www.mckeesurf.com/brucemckee/multisystem.htm

Then click on "Quattro Nitty Gritty... Why and How" (blinking red on right hand side) There's a long dissertation about quad fin placement.
    Wow... I've been on that site dozens of times and never saw that... is it new? Very insightful... and from the quad guru himself. Thanks, Capt.

lb,i must say that you've outdone yourself this time,and i can't thank you enough.
    your specific answer to my specific question in the simplest laymen's terms.
    i just surf and can't hammer a nail straight if my life depended on it,so when it gets technical i get lost.
    you just told me what i can expect to experience riding these,and i have to say after riding a quad in decent size and a quad fish in smaller stuff for over a year that you've written it down here precisely.
    quads are just like you said,what they do well and what they don't and how they work and how they don't.
    astounding.

yes LBCrew IS the man!

~Brian
    www.greenlightsurfsupply.com
    Shape Your Surfing Experience

YEah I have noticed Slater's 5-fin set ups (convertible, not he actual quad plus little mini fin thing form NY Pro) have had a weird looking quad placement, much closer to the stringer. So if Kelly does it then ..................... the world will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by bushwood View Post
    YEah I have noticed Slater's 5-fin set ups (convertible, not he actual quad plus little mini fin thing form NY Pro) have had a weird looking quad placement, much closer to the stringer. So if Kelly does it then ..................... the world will follow.
    I think it's a pretty standard fin placement for a 5 fin convertible. That's the way I've seen most if not all 5 fin versions. I don't recall seeing a 5-fin convertible with the rear quad fins close to the rails (like a split keel).

Quote Originally Posted by Driftingalong View Post
    I think it's a pretty standard fin placement for a 5 fin convertible. That's the way I've seen most if not all 5 fin versions. I don't recall seeing a 5-fin convertible with the rear quad fins close to the rails (like a split keel).
    You're right... that's pretty much how McKee designed the system to work. He's the Godfather of Five.

But my current convertible is quad rail setup with a standard thruster trailer, and it works well with the Probox boxes. I won't do it with any other system... it just doesn't work well for me without the fore-aft adjustment. I'll post a pic if i can. To me, the McKee setup is close enough to a thruster feel that I don't need the convertible option. Seems kinda redundant. But converting from rail setup to thruster is a whole other world.

But... if Slater does it, the masses will follow.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Oct 14, 2011 at 08:23 PM.

6'6 thumb tail hpsb.jpg

Rail placement thruster/quad convertible; Probox for variable cant adjustment and fore-aft adjustment, 6 degree inserts in the front, 4s in the back. 6'6 thumb tail hpsb
    Last edited by LBCrew; Oct 14, 2011 at 08:42 PM.

McKee setup.jpg

McKee placement with FCS plugs... 6'4 groveler for under head high