LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DIKS! I'm surrounded by DIKS!
    Not the first time for me sadlly...

I have a pretty old school 6'1" 21" 3" single fin with a little rocker that I found in a trash can like 3 years ago. Very sick board. EXTREMELY ugly paint job. ridiculous amount of suncure and the first board I ever got shacked on. it handles pretty well even in some bigger surf and it does a crazy bottom turn. highly recommend something along those lines

What kind of 6'10 is it? I'm assuming it's some kind of big guy shortboard or stepup type shape. If that's the case, going down to a 6'6 will be a very smooth transition. Jumping down to a 6'2 hpsb will be a leap, and you can expect to struggle for a while until you get used to the reduced length and volume. But that or shorter is what most people your weight would ride.

Getting a custom is a good idea. Your shaper will be able to tweak the thickness, rocker, planshape and length to get an ideal combination for you. Some boards off the rack might look like what you want, but after dropping a big chunk of change for a CI or Lost, you don't want to be looking to sell it after 5 sessions.

Not the first time you've been surrounded by d**ks, this might be the wrong forum. This is a surf forum. Ha Ha. Sorry I couldn't resist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambino View Post
    DIKS! I'm surrounded by DIKS!
    Not the first time for me sadlly...

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    What kind of 6'10 is it? I'm assuming it's some kind of big guy shortboard or stepup type shape. If that's the case, going down to a 6'6 will be a very smooth transition. Jumping down to a 6'2 hpsb will be a leap, and you can expect to struggle for a while until you get used to the reduced length and volume. But that or shorter is what most people your weight would ride.

Getting a custom is a good idea. Your shaper will be able to tweak the thickness, rocker, planshape and length to get an ideal combination for you. Some boards off the rack might look like what you want, but after dropping a big chunk of change for a CI or Lost, you don't want to be looking to sell it after 5 sessions.
    It's a fish/hybrid kinda thing....
    Like I said, I e-mailed a few local shapers. I'm gonna keep my eye on CL too...
    Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by jchafard View Post
    Nice boards but, I'll never understand how guys paddle out in overhead surf on a 7' board...

Images
    Nice boards but, I'll never understand how guys paddle out in overhead surf on a 7' board...
    guys regularly paddle out in bigger surf with bigger boards....

The speed you can paddle kind of makes up for the recovery time when turtle-rolling, etc. I can paddle twice as fast on my 7'2" than on my 5'6".

Efficient duck-diving with slow paddling = Inefficient Turtle-roll with fast paddling.

Oh I know it can be done. Lopez didn't seem to have much of a problem...
    I guess it helps when your board is shaped like a missle...