LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

December issue of Surfing

I had to throw away my December issue of Surfing Magazine a few minutes ago after vomiting all over it when I saw the ad for the Wavejet Propulsion Surfboard... Its motto? "Change the way you experience the water." Seriously? Paddling is a huge part of surfing, something that can sometimes separate the average from the above average and this company is dissolving that barrier. I personally think that this idea is effed up and an attempt to modernize surfing which will, hopefully, fall on its face. I know someone posted about these boards before, but now they're in Surfing... Any thoughts? Do you think the boards will find success or flop?

I came home today excited to read through the new Surfing magazine whilst I took the Browns to the Superbowl and saw the same ad, I was like...WTF! We're all screwed, we thought SUPer's we're bad hogging up the lineup, now there's gonna be grandmas out there jet propulsing on our faces. Thankfully, I didn't vomit on my magazine, but I will choose not to look at that page or burn it. Kinda bummed too, had a glimpse of a chance of getting off work for tomorrow to get some and that all came crashing down late afternoon today...

Images
    I got the new issue of Transworld the other day and the same ad was in it. I had the same reaction, I almost wanted to tear the page right out of the mag. I hope I never see one of those things in person...

Images
    I have a good feeling the Jan issue with be filled with nothing but angery hate mail as they deserve

I thought everyone knew? Steve Walden anyone? The biggest f-ing sellout in all of surfing history.
    Makes me sick.

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/blog/266...%20surfboards/

...I will never, NEVER own a Steve Walden surfboard. Everyone should boycott this sickening idiotship. For a man who's done so much for surfing to come up with an idea that totally disregards literally THE MOST important aspect of surfing utterly disgusts me.
    If I had a Walden I'd burn it.

Images
    I would try one. I would be laughing as i zip around everyone haha.

Quote Originally Posted by jchafard View Post
    I thought everyone knew? Steve Walden anyone? The biggest f-ing sellout in all of surfing history.
    Makes me sick.
    truer words have never been spoken, dude laid a big ol greasy mud monkey right across surfings beautiful face

Quote Originally Posted by gnargnar View Post
    I had to throw away my December issue of Surfing Magazine a few minutes ago after vomiting all over it when I saw the ad for the Wavejet Propulsion Surfboard... Its motto? "Change the way you experience the water." Seriously? Paddling is a huge part of surfing, something that can sometimes separate the average from the above average and this company is dissolving that barrier. I personally think that this idea is effed up and an attempt to modernize surfing which will, hopefully, fall on its face. I know someone posted about these boards before, but now they're in Surfing... Any thoughts? Do you think the boards will find success or flop?
    aye aye Captain

I think that the success of this board depends largely on how the surf community accepts it...In my opinion this type of board is not enough to get "non surfers" into the water so sales will depend largely on current surfers dropping the $$ to buy one, which seems pretty unlikely. You may see some SUPer-type people try it out but I doubt it will become mainstream. I for one hope that it fails before it even gets going. I haven't seen one yet and hope that I never do.