LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: mini-simmons

Images
    Hey guys i wanted to chime in. I made about 6 of these MS boards and everyone who tries them up here in NE loves them. I am blessed with hang out and shooting the **** with the guy that shaped the first MS when i visti SDCA. http://joebsurfshapes.com/mini-simmons/

I think it is because of the thick rubber up here.

And yes! no one up here has a clue what a mini sims is!

If you get a chance to try one out, do it.

I make them eps and epoxy for myself, 1/2'' double concaves to flat, quad, big a floaty and superlight.

My friend shaped a 4-1o mini Simmons last week I used it once. Supprisingly easy and fun to ride

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    Reading the responses to the OP I am wondering if anyone has actually ridden a MS? The responses seem more from an analytical/academic POV than a experience perspective? Who has actually ridden one and who shaped it? What was your impression of it?
    JN
    shaped one myself (5'8" x 22") about 4 months ago and have ridden it at least 30 times since. really REALLY fun in lined up waves from knee high up to chest high. These boards get mad speed and allow long sweeping cutbacks from way out on the shoulder back towards the pocket and then hold speed to redirect down the line again.

The huge flat planing surface and low entry rocker makes these boards ridiculous to ride in heavy texture/chop.

They are also not made for hacking vertical turns...these boards have a larger turning radius.

I agree that this MS board isnt a design well suited to short, drop-in-and slash kind of waves. But you dont need california point surf either.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    The huge flat planing surface and low entry rocker makes these boards ridiculous to ride in heavy texture/chop.

They are also not made for hacking vertical turns...these boards have a larger turning radius.

I agree that this MS board isnt a design well suited to short, drop-in-and slash kind of waves. But you dont need california point surf either.
    no no my friend,

in chop, depends on rail design. I like to ride mine in ****ty conditions. powers threw the crap where a short board would bog down.

you can get hacks denpending on fin placement, weight of the board and abillity..

been throwing buckets,KID>>>>>. whooosh

Images
    I got one made by spirare surfboards. It actually works better in surf waist high or better. I am 6'3 225 and ride a 6x23x3 that's a sanded finish quad

If anyone wants to check out a real simmons board when in OCMD, go to Chauncey's north shop and look in board room for oldest board there- its awesome! spoon nose- hull through the whole board- and I think I heard it was one of first fiberglass boards- only thing that caught me was that it was single fin and i thought all simmons were twinies..... AWESOME thought so go peep it out- anyho I am shaping a pine chambered hollow wooden 5'3x22.5x2.75 simmons now- pretty fun learning as I go - Ive been lo0oking at lots of them for a while and cant wait to ride one- have a god damned great day everyone

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    From everything i've heard about them they perform well in small sloppy waves. Maybe it's a semantics thing and the west coast folks don't know the east coast definition of "small sloppy waves".
    I've been riding a 5'8" mini simmons most of this year and it definitaly works great in small-medium CLEAN waves. long lines and sweeping turns holding tons of speed and glide. In my opinion the mini simmons isnt much of a board for sloppy east coast waves (onshory wind swell junk) with all kinds of water sloshing around and short little sections. West coast slop can still mean long sections, so that might still work for a MS.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a Tommy Moore Slop Rod which is "mini Simmons inspired" I wanted something with a full nose, straight rail and a wide tail, To plane like a mini sims but wanted more performance soI added wings to the tail to loosen it up a bit, made it a quad running Future Controllers (which are great fins on wide tail sticks) and went with my shapers beloved round nose fish rocker and rai foil so I can actually get the rail to sink a bit. Its EPS/Epoxy construction makes it light and bouyant so it flies in small slop. Its 5'-6" x 21-3/8" x 2-3/8"

Images
    Here it is the 6' sims, 6-8' face worked like a dream...

nov 3 2011

I like it Frany, we are talking about doing a Slop Rod 2, which will be just like the Slop Rod pictured ablove but adding the Step dwon rail and a beak on the nose due to the increased thickness it can cary witht he step rail.

I see you added bump wings as well, looks like your stick is running a flat squash, mine has a bit of a diamond tail, minute but it does help shorten the rail length up more.