LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: mini-simmons

Meeting with Kelly this week

though my recent kelly richards (perfection) kustom is not a true simmons

I've been talking to KR about this for a while after meeting a 60-yr old man @ The Washout last summer who had one with a hex-box set. He was actually out of breath and wasn't too talkative when I asked him about it. How do you choose one if you have never ridden one? I am 43, decent shape, 190 lbs, 6 ft & my shortest board is a 7'0" very wide Progressive by Dave Jacobs (Santa Barbara). Was told by a poster on Facebook I should shoot for a 6'2"/22" but when I talk to kelly, he doesn't seem too enthused. Any ideas on how to choose? Many thanks!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by A Geek To Go! View Post
    though my recent kelly richards (perfection) kustom is not a true simmons

I've been talking to KR about this for a while after meeting a 60-yr old man @ The Washout last summer who had one with a hex-box set. He was actually out of breath and wasn't too talkative when I asked him about it. How do you choose one if you have never ridden one? I am 43, decent shape, 190 lbs, 6 ft & my shortest board is a 7'0" very wide Progressive by Dave Jacobs (Santa Barbara). Was told by a poster on Facebook I should shoot for a 6'2"/22" but when I talk to kelly, he doesn't seem too enthused. Any ideas on how to choose? Many thanks!
    I guess two thoughts

First, 22" is actually on the narrow side for a 6'2" Mini Simmons shape. Width is seriously your friend on these planks. For reference, my 5'8" MS is 22 1/2" wide. I'd go more like 23" wide for one that long.

Second, find a shaper who's enthused. (It wasnt clear from your post whether you meant Kelly wasnt enthused about those dimensions, or wasnt enthused about the idea of making you a MS at all)

Sweetwater

I've been looking at those MS as well. I went to sweetwater the other day and they had them there (Eavey). They know what they're doing there. Try going to Sweetwater.

Still no waves though...

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    they look like lots of fun for summer mush, so i've been checking them out - i went into a local surf shop (Hot Wax in Wilmington) to look for one and was surprised that the staff had absolutely no idea what i was talking about (staff: "no, we don't carry that brand"...me:"well, actually it's a shape"...staff: "huh?").

maybe I just went to the wrong shop or maybe the mini-Simmons is more of a West coast phenomenon? anyway, anybody own one? know any local shapers who have experience making them?
    Actually one of my buddies shaped his own from an old longboard and he loves it. I see him in the water a lot more. He takes that thing out from ankle to overhead. He's a bigger dude to so it floats him really nice. Check it out, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1176006&type=3

mini-simmons

my husband's been making these boards for about three years now--he loves riding 'em so he started shaping 'em. he's 6'0 180 lbs and rides a 5'2 about 23 inches wide i think--he's had a couple on craigslist for sale - cheap for the time he puts in - he shapes and glasses himself. he also has one at south end surf shop for sale around 300 i think?
    has a blog roostershack.blogspot.com
    btw--all you gotta do is watch him surf - he always has a sh%t eatin grin on his face and he kills it

he has no idea i've posted this
    Last edited by zotz; Feb 19, 2012 at 01:08 AM.

hey zotz, met you guys in C.R. a month ago. your husband let me try out his board one afternoon. Fun board, first time surfing a mini simms. liked it so much getting something similar shaped up here by a buddy. I wish i read your post a couple weeks ago i would have had ordered one from you guys and at that price thats a deal! Enjoyed meeting you guys, pura vida.

Images
    I think my next board will be similar but more of a hyrdo hull shape with lots of foam or maybe a 7' mini simmons shape

I know many of you are in NC, but if you travel down south, my shaper makes a heck of a mini simmons. It's one of his fortes. http://mysticsurfboards.net/

Jacksonville, Florida baby.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidmg1212 View Post
    I've been looking at those MS as well. I went to sweetwater the other day and they had them there (Eavey). They know what they're doing there. Try going to Sweetwater.

Still no waves though...
    yup, everybody i talk to here in the Cape Fear region mentions Eavey when you ask about mini-Simmons..(Jimmy Keith would be my first choice for practically anything else).

I ride a 6' x 22 1/2 Mini Simmons (poly) shaped by Greg Eavey with a 3-fin, and I love it. I'm 5'7" (175 pounds on good days) and love the feel of this board. Great for punchy surf, head high, waist, or 1 foot waves when it's just me and the longboarders (and I'm catching everything they catch.)

The only time I really grab my longboard these days are on those rolling lazy one foot days.

I've heard that I might not find it to be the best board in overhead surf, but unfortunately that's not a problem I feel like I'll have anytime soon. I look forward to seeing if this slight rocker will prove people wrong when we finally get some swell.

When I got the MS I was concerned about the skatiness, but the tri-fin set up makes the board incredibly stable and quite frankly I haven't felt the skatiness.

I hope this helps.