LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Wrightsville vs Carolina Beach

I have often heard different people argue over the quality of waves at Wrightsville Beach versus grittier Carolina Beach. Some people in CB swear to me their wave is punchier and more hollow. Some in WB swear their wave is better formed. I have been to both on many occasions, but never on the same day. Has anyone noticed a difference?

There some decent bodyboarding waves in and around this area, it just depends on the swell and conditions on which one will be working.

3. I have been to Pelican Watch. What are other popular bodyboard spots? I am the only bastard with a sponge usually.

surf910 Guest
    Its been my experience recently that the sandbars in cb seem to be formed better & give longer lines with a little more punch.

Quote Originally Posted by xbodyboardx View Post
    I have been to Pelican Watch. What are other popular bodyboard spots? I am the only bastard with a sponge usually.
    Take time to explore different locations on different swell, wind, tide, etc combos. I will say that I have never seen Pelican Watch worth getting wet for; if there are waves there, its a lot better some where else.

Well CB and WB face different directions so take that into consideration #1....swell direction! Number 2.........wind direction, obvoiusly affects waves differently and since they face different directions..........well there you go. Finally, i believe that the waters off of CB are deeper so the waves can be bigger than WB as well as offer more punch....................this all goes back to numero uno............swell direction.

Quote Originally Posted by bonaire126 View Post
    Take time to explore different locations on different swell, wind, tide, etc combos. I will say that I have never seen Pelican Watch worth getting wet for; if there are waves there, its a lot better some where else.
    I have surf Pelican Watch going off before with only 4 friends out. I have also surfed it when it looked twice as big as anywhere else. Living in WB i would still travel to CB to catch surf. I dont konw if anyone remembers the Feb 28 swell in 05 (i think, it could have been 04), I surf Pelican and it was absolutely perfect, but a lot of spots were that day! Pelican surely looked a lot better than a few other spots. It was all good that day! Can we get another good one soon....................please!

Images
    hmmm...Wrightsville Beach? leash laws? surf zones? no parking? packed line-up? you mean that Wrightsville Beach?

on any given day, the waves in CB will be comparable, without any of the above aggravation.

CB v WB

I'd have to say that the waves at CB are generally better than at WB. I've lived there for five months now after moving from WB and the waves at CB are just way stronger. A 4 foot wave at CB packs way more punch than a 4 foot wave at WB. I think it probably does have to do with the offshore bottom contours/depth like someone else already said. just look at pics from the TS Barry swell a couple months ago. Compare the photos from wblivesurf and other photos posted by people from CB on the forum. if anything there are just more options for spots at CB/KB/FF. however, to each his/her own.

what a setup south to south central NC. the OBX is another ball game altogether, but Ocean Isle and Holden and Oak island or Kure CB. Wrightsville is always so fun and over there is the icing on the cake. waves in Topsail and up to the Emerald Isles. in there lots of good hollow wave potential. wb is getting really packed though. there is more beach between ff and cb so the guys spread a good bit. makes for less packed waves. i really consider myself pretty blessed to live within an hour or so to great quality wave potential. Gotta love those Carolinas.