LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    New School: Dane reynolds is already an icon.
    Old School: for me, Rabbit and Shaun Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    tom curren. stylish, powerful, & skilled, his legend/icon status crosses generations.
    +1
    Curren is a master. Sure, lots of other guys have all the moves and tricks, but Curren connects them all with effortless grace, while all the others grovel and pump between maneuvers.

gerry lopez ........

Was always a Martin Potter fan as a kid. If I recall correctly, one of the first to work aerials into his every day and contest surfing. I have never been able to catch air (at least on purpose,) but still cool to witness. For the east coast, have to say Matt Kechele. As for NJ, has to be Dean Randazzo.

Anyone who was on that boat for the first Cortes bank mission! That happened when the internet was somewhat "new" and that first video footage remains seared in my memory banks. Of the non-heroic variety, I would pick anyone out there who is still exploring and finding new spots

http://www.zapiks.com/1168509157.html

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by YngBrck View Post
    Anyone who was on that boat for the first Cortes bank mission! That happened when the internet was somewhat "new" and that first video footage remains seared in my memory banks. Of the non-heroic variety, I would pick anyone out there who is still exploring and finding new spots

http://www.zapiks.com/1168509157.html
    Hell yea man. I have step into liquid and ive watched that part in that movie over and over again. Still is mind boggling how they just went out there and went ballistic on it

Jock Sutherland- He was something of a counter culture hero when I grew. I'll bet less than 10% of the surfers on this post have ever heard of him. One of the original pioneers of the North Shore. I like your idea to get something interesting going on this forum. I dont know if we should have an all-other catagory- Talk about something other than surfing- Boobies are a good!

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    tom curren. stylish, powerful, & skilled, his legend/icon status crosses generations.
    Agreed +1 Not to mention a class act

Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    Damn I'd never heard of him before but that Jose Angel guy was the man. I'd definitely have to say my surfing icon is Jack Johnson. Yes you heard it right. He was about to be professional surfer and he was the youngest guy to ever be invited to the Pipe Masters event until he screwed his face up when he got pounded into the reef in the final. He decided not be a pro surfer but make surf movies and music instead. He really caught a huge break when Thicker than Water's soundtrack blew up and his career started from there. How sick is that to have surfing influence and pretty much start your career. Now he's living the life. Not only is a great surfer, he is an incredible person as well. Whenever he goes on tour he usually just donates all the proceeds to charity because he doesn't want/need the money. definitely one of my favorite surfers and humans on the planet.

Video says it all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDG0PjCWyrE
    Saw Jack at Madison .Guy actually sounded better in person.Awesome concert.