LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1/2" vs 3/4" Futures fin tab bases - Learn something new every day

I remember someone, and I want to say that it was 3rdperson, posted a couple of months ago about breaking the tabs on their Controllers when they were screwing them into the fin boxes for the first time on their brand new board. Everyone offered advice until the thread degenerated into the usual vitriolic cacophony of d!ck jokes and massholes. I kind of chalked it up to user error, since one of the first things I had noticed about my Controllers set was that the rears didn’t sit flush with the base of the box and that over tightening them looked like it could damage the tabs because of that. So I didn’t over-tighten them and break my fins. Easy skeezy, who cares if they don’t sit flush, right?

Anyway, fast forward to yesterday and I’m doing a little horse trading and by the end of it I’m walking out down a Coil; but with the board I did want and a couple of sets of fins that I didn’t. Never one to turn down a free set of fins (or two), I walked out with a brand-spankin-new, front set of Futures Elevons. Which look exactly like the 2nd kookiest set of fins I’ve ever seen (no tubercles). So, where do I go to get the low-down on these space age fins, with wings and vectors and associated nonsense? If you guessed the Surfboard Warehouse, you get a gold star. And for once, the heroin addict lookin dude with the bad haircut actually provided some useful information “on one last note, what you want to do before you buy these fins is see if your quad surfboard has ½” rear boxes or ¾” rear boxes.”

Say what????

Apparently, a ½” base needs a ¼” shim in a ¾” box. I had a custom board made at the beginning of the year with 5 futures boxes. Not once did the shaper say, “hey man, do you want the ½” or ¾” Futures.”

Who knew!?!?! Seriously, not me, but I was always a glassed-on or FCS user up until this year.

And of course, the Contoller Quad rears are a ½” tab, so you need a ¼” shim in a ¾” box.

Fark u Futures

‘Splains a lot, learn somethin new everyday

never ran into that issue- all my futures have bigger tabs in front and smaller in back , sounds like your shaper kinda screwed the pooch

Quote Originally Posted by numbone View Post
    never ran into that issue- all my futures have bigger tabs in front and smaller in back , sounds like your shaper kinda screwed the pooch

Maybe, my two custom boards with futures were shaped by Mike Daniels at Coil and Jerry Ingham at XTR. Not exactly your everyday back yard shapers.

More likely and this is just a guess, neither of them wanted to fok with a bunch of different depth boxes on a single board. I sure as hell don't/wouldn't/would be pissed if I had to. What if I wanted to run something other than 1/2" tabbed fin in the rears? I couldn't. One of my quads is 9'2" x 23" x 3" (I've got 5'10", 6'2" and 6'6" quads too). I run full sized fins in the rears of that beast depending on the waves.

What blows my mind about all this is that the Controllers' rears have a 1/2" base, but my Rastas', my Hayden's and my Qd2 4.15 are all 3/4". Or at least I assume they are since they all fit flush and the Controllers rears don't. Never pulled out the yard stick to measure the depth of my fin boxes. So it's not even consistent amongst the Futures' product line.

What's the benefit of having two different depth-ed boxes?
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Dec 8, 2014 at 08:26 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    More likely and this is just a guess, neither of them wanted to fok with a bunch of different depth boxes on a single board.
    Every futures tri-fin board for the past 15 years (I've had a bunch) has 3/4" base fronts and 1/2" base trailers. Quads also for several years now...at least 5 years. If you're shaping with Futures, you're using two router bits....3/4" for the fronts, 1/2" for the rear(s). Its not rocket science. You got a new board and all five boxes are 3/4" deep? THATS NUTS!
    Last edited by mitchell; Dec 8, 2014 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Every futures tri-fin board for the past 15 years (I've had a bunch) has 3/4" base fronts and 1/2" base trailers. Quads also for several years now...at least 5 years. If you're shaping with Futures, you're using two router bits....3/4" fronts and 1/2" rears. Its not rocket science. You got a new board and all five boxes are 3/4" deep? THATS NUTS!
    Well, I did say "I assume they are" which at least implies that I have no clue what I'm talking about. I had no idea up until a few hours ago that were even two different depths to Futures! Never had that problem with FCS, I guess i was the only one who didn't know.

Now I have to go home and measure all the futures fin boxes in my boards. I know the Ingham quad has 3/4" boxes all around, but now I'm not so sure about the Coil.

Lol

i had a quad fish a while back that had 3/4" boxes all around...kinda like that better, as it opens up a whole array of options for rear fins. that said, i never used a shim while running 1/2" tabbed fins in 3/4" boxes...just place carefully & tighten adequately. they sat perfectly flush.

"x" marks the 1/2" boxes, "F" logo, the 3/4" boxes..."standard practice", typically, is to use 3/4" boxes up front & 1/2" boxes in the rear, both quad & thruster. supposedly this is to accommodate the thinner tail on modern hpsbs.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i had a quad fish a while back that had 3/4" boxes all around...kinda like that better, as it opens up a whole array of options for rear fins. that said, i never used a shim while running 1/2" tabbed fins in 3/4" boxes...just place carefully & tighten adequately. they sat perfectly flush.
    Actually this is all your fault, you got me started on Futures. Which I have to admit, I like better. Thanks. Still your fault.

Am I misunderstanding something here? Depth to me, which is the word that Surfboard Warehouse weirdo kept using, is the distance from the top or surface of something to its bottom. If you need a shim to adjust for depth, it would go under the base of the fin and raise it to be flush with the surfboard, yes? Vertical like.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    "x" marks the 1/2" boxes, "F" logo, the 3/4" boxes..."standard practice", typically, is to use 3/4" boxes up front & 1/2" boxes in the rear, both quad & thruster. supposedly this is to accommodate the thinner tail on modern hpsbs.
    Thanks man. That'll save some time.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Actually this is all your fault, you got me started on Futures. Which I have to admit, I like better. Thanks. Still your fault.

Am I misunderstanding something here? Depth to me, which is the word that Surfboard Warehouse weirdo kept using, is the distance from the top or surface of something to its bottom. If you need a shim to adjust for depth, it would go under the base of the fin and raise it to be flush with the surfboard, yes? Vertical like.
    glad to be of service

i'd assume the shim would go in the box, w/ the fin resting on top...but the back notch on the fin lines up w/ the bump at the back of the box, regardless of depth. like, i said, i've never used one. 1/2" tabbed fins fit just fine in 3/4" boxes sans shim.

Images
    Tl:dr

But it seems like roy Stuart problems.