LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    please use the search button and click on the thread 'global warming'

The earth has natural cycles warmer and colder, and natural phenomenon that impact the climate, but it is naive too think that all of our activities as a civilization have not impacted current climate. But Al Gore needed a cause after he lost the election, and he already invented the internet, so here we are.

Images
    So what are your thoughts on the neutral ENSO conditions this year causing average to below average surf for the south east this winter??? Also i think if the ENSO switches Pos we could be in for a crappy 2012 hurricane season next year. Thoughts???

4. I didnt read any of the other posts so I am not sure if this has been said but... The earth has a history of going through warming and cooling periods. Global warming is a real phenomenon, however; its not bad for the earth. This is not to say that human induced pollution is to be forgotten about, but it is not the sole reason for the earth going through a phase that has happened numerous times in its millons of years of life. Al Gore wasn't wrong about global warming, he was wrong by saying it was solely because of human pollutants. The human race is like any other species on the planet and will eventually come to an end. I am just glad I wont be around for another ice age... that **** would suck... new england winters are enough for me

Images
    Well this thread was an epic fail. Over 4 pages of deuche wanna be scientists talking about a theory popularized by a half retarded vp. Who cares about global warming and what you have to say about it... Let's see some real discussion about surfing related material.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoastprock View Post
    Well this thread was an epic fail. Over 4 pages of deuche wanna be scientists talking about a theory popularized by a half retarded vp. Who cares about global warming and what you have to say about it... Let's see some real discussion about surfing related material.
    Well, to keep it surfing related...You can take the money that you're going to start being charged for a "carbon based tax" sometime in the very near future because the gov't is so concerned about Mother Earth. In one year of paying that tax, it will probably equal the cost of that plane ticket you were thinking about buying to get out of Folly Beach and surf some real waves. I digress, caught one of the best sessions I ever had when I lived in Folly. Hurricane Bonnie circa 1998. Surfer mag did a spread on it. H-O-L-L-O-W and plenty of broken boards.

Plastic is a much bigger threat to us. Maybe we should start talking about that....

My response to the global warming part of this thread is 1. The latest report I have read says carbon dioxide is at it's lowest atmospheric concentrations is thousands of years and 2. plants need CO2 to breath.

I've taking environmental science courses before so I'm not completely uneducated however I believe there are much more important environmental concerns we have to worry about such as pollution from nuclear reactors (for example Fukishima has put more radiation into the environment than Chernobyl ever did), Genetically Modified Crops, and plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoastprock View Post
    So what are your thoughts on the neutral ENSO conditions this year causing average to below average surf for the south east this winter??? Also i think if the ENSO switches Pos we could be in for a crappy 2012 hurricane season next year. Thoughts???
    In response to that, I heard we would have a weak La Nina/ strong Arctic Oscillation year which is much like last winter. So wouldn't that translate to an average hurricane season like this year? i don't really think it' gonna switch but consider two summers ago, we had some really nice hurricane swells (Igor, Earl, Danielle) and wasn't that an ENSO year?

And I don't know how good your surf was last winter, however up here in NJ we had long lulls but when the waves came they were pretty solid.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    Just curious to who capitalizes off of Global Warming?
    I'm always surprised when skeptics of global warming/climate change mention the idea that global warming is an argument made by researchers and regulators who want to capitalize off global warming and global warming related research and regs.

Seems to me that there is far more of a profit motive to argue AGAINST global warming. The way i see it, the oil companies, auto industry, electric utilities, manufacting sector, agribusiness, and countless others would immediately see their profits and stock prices skyrocket if unlimited CO2 emissions suddenly became perfectly acceptable due to global warming being shown to be a falsehood.

So if you really believe research is biased by profit motive, i'm pretty sure there's more profit to be made DIS-proving global warming than proving it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    I'm always surprised when skeptics of global warming/climate change mention the idea that global warming is an argument made by researchers and regulators who want to capitalize off global warming and global warming related research and regs.

Seems to me that there is far more of a profit motive to argue AGAINST global warming. The way i see it, the oil companies, auto industry, electric utilities, manufacting sector, agribusiness, and countless others would immediately see their profits and stock prices skyrocket if unlimited CO2 emissions suddenly became perfectly acceptable due to global warming being shown to be a falsehood.

So if you really believe research is biased by profit motive, i'm pretty sure there's more profit to be made DIS-proving global warming than proving it.
    well said...