LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Don't think I'll be booking any surf trips to Western Australia.
    But i guess if i lived there I wouldn't quit either, no doubt we are part of the food chain.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1677290.html
    Last edited by Koki Barrels; Jul 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM.

did you watch the video? the conservationists are always like " we need to do more research and figure out why these attacks happen"... or something along those lines...
    well let me save everyone a bunch of money and time... here is the ans... the attacks happen cause the shark is friggen hungry and wants and easy meal. a shark that size (up to 24ft!) was probably a female and pregnant and needed to feed.

The attacks there in WA seem a lot more brutal than regular white shark attacks, if that makes any sense. Think twice before you surf there, may just wanna stick to the gold coast

sharks must be jumping on the bath salt band wagon too.....

Bull shark washed up on chick's beach this morning, you know, popular summer spot on the chesapeake bay in VB. About a 6 foot'er but looked gnarley. Nope nope nope ...

I can't imagine what that would be like, 5 fatalities in 10 months? That's gotta be a record or something

I've always said I'd give my right arm to get to surf West Oz...definitely DID NOT mean it like that, however! My most heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims.

That being said, I have conflicted feelings about "hunting down the killer shark". On some level I do agree that it makes sense to take down the killer, just like we would do if a bear started attacking people in the mountainous areas of our country. At the same time, though, it seems to me a far more difficult task to find the killer shark. In the past these shark hunts have usually transformed into mass killings that can decimate local populations. I do NOT think it's a good idea to play God with an already fragile ecosystem that depends on a healthy shark population for its overall survival.

Quote Originally Posted by live aloha View Post
    I've always said I'd give my right arm to get to surf West Oz...definitely DID NOT mean it like that, however! My most heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims.

That being said, I have conflicted feelings about "hunting down the killer shark". On some level I do agree that it makes sense to take down the killer, just like we would do if a bear started attacking people in the mountainous areas of our country. At the same time, though, it seems to me a far more difficult task to find the killer shark. In the past these shark hunts have usually transformed into mass killings that can decimate local populations. I do NOT think it's a good idea to play God with an already fragile ecosystem that depends on a healthy shark population for its overall survival.
    I agree with you but just dont get too caught up drinking the coolaide... the great white population is healthy and on the rise.... they are pretty much everywhere these days... west coast usa east coast usa, australia, hawaii you name it, the men in grey have the area covered...

Images
    I have a foggy idea of why great whites and other man eaters are important to the ecosystem but what's the deal with mosquitos? Anyone have a good reason why mosquitos are an important part of the chain?