LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Thanks haha, I just remember it was nice to have someone help along the way when I started and have always contemplated whether or not to accept others boards to glass as well see as there are little choices on the east coast for guys only making one or two boards. An egg is definitely a fun shape to make, I have made a couple off of the harbour spherical revolver template.

My favorite was a Takayama Egg knock-off. Single fin, with those bright 80s colors... lime green and tangerine. Great little board, too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarbutt View Post
    Thanks haha, I just remember it was nice to have someone help along the way when I started....
    Agree...I think we all have that person who passed along their knowledge.

A few years ago i was telling Jon Ashton how i was installing futures boxes by using a freehand dremel tool to dig out the foam in the shape of the futures fin box. It had worked fine for several boards but was time consuming, and pretty sketchy.

He dug into a box, and fished out two old router bits and an aluminum jig that now turns installing 3/4" and 1/2" futures boxes into a five minute process.

I've since used that kit, that was passed on to me, to help a few first time shapers in my area put fin boxes in their shaped blank.
    Last edited by mitchell; Nov 2, 2011 at 03:14 PM.

I'm going to mock up some dimensions this evening and then post them here for feedback. Until then, a BIG thanks to all who have given tips or offered help thus far! Much appreciated.

one more question, will cold temperatures effect the process? i am planning on shaping in a very thin walled shed and wanted to make sure cold is OK for the board/glassing material.
    Last edited by dcsurfer; Nov 3, 2011 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsurfer View Post
    one more question, will cold temperatures effect the process? i am planning on shaping in a very thing walled shed and wanted to make sure cold is OK for the board/glassing material.
    I was wondering the same thing!

7. If you glass in the cold, the best is to use suncure. You could theoretically class a board in the cold, by heating the resin up in a microwave or in a bucket of hot water. Ideally, you want to try and get the shed to around 65-75 degrees. Not having good conditions can make glassing a board hell and frustrating. I used a heated building and its still tough in the winter at times.

8. Also if you guys rather not glass your boards yourselfs, I have some free time this winter and could glass them for you. I had a friend of mine glass my first couple of boards for me before I started doing it myself and it made the process a lot easier. PM me if you have any questions

mgarbutt, you rule. I'm naively hoping to go with a dipped-nose look, but a straight-up regular glass job is probably more realistic for a first shape.

After starting to mull over the length/dimensions I'm pretty torn. Trying to keep most dimensions pretty classic, but still not sure how short I really want to go. I'd like it to be able to ride in OH surf without being too squirrely, but it'd be fun if it could also catch waves all day in mush.

Length: Somewhere between 6'4" and 7'2"
    Rocker: 1.5" tail, maybe 3-3.5" nose
    Nose: 16"
    Tail: 15"
    Wide point: 21-22" (?) -- slightly forward of center
    Thickness: 2 7/8" (?)
    Fin setup: 2+1

10. Depends on your size/ability level. If you are stepping down from a longboard then i would go with some around 7'. I shaped my dad a 7'6" single fin egg that he loves, handles big surf to waist high must. A 2+1 setup would work great as well. I have the template for the Harbour Spherical revolver which is a sick shape as well. Do you have a blank already?
    Last edited by mgarbutt; Nov 4, 2011 at 01:55 AM.