Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

EPS Epoxy vs. PU Poly

Which do you prefer?

Compared to my 2 eps epoxy boards, that I have been surfing for the past year or so, it seems like all these normal PU poly boards are so heavy and draggy when I'm surfing them, and they last in good condition for just under a year it seems. I def would stick with EPS epoxy boards, alot more durable, don't get yellow, and they are really floaty and almost seem like they have pop off the lip.
    Last edited by HighOnLife; Jun 12, 2015 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Both EPS boards are SUPERbrand

I prefer poly.

Are your PU boards water logged? ? ? ? ? ? ? / ? VD. b.stdbg

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bubonicphoniks View Post
    I prefer poly.

Are your PU boards water logged? ? ? ? ? ? ? / ? VD. b.stdbg
    No, I just got it in April in Florida on break haha

If there are open dings you can water log a board in a matter of hours.

Images
    I prefer poly, but, you're right, they don't last worth sh!t. Spider cracks, yellowing, delams, etc...horrible value for the money, really.

Fortunately, people are starting to use epoxy resin on standard poly blanks. Even local glassers can do this for your local shaper. They simply substitute epoxy resin for polyester resin...the rest of the board's materials stay standard polyurethane foam and fiberglass cloth. Epoxy resin is more expensive, but it's longevity actually surpasses the value of polyester resin.

...or you can spend a little more and get Hydroflex to glass your board. They use a vacuum process that sucks fibers into the foam, making their boards even stronger that standard epoxy glass jobs.

EPS/Epoxy for everything but big wave boards and logs, where I like the added weight, and like to do color work with a gloss/polish finish. Epoxy just doesn't tint or polish out like poly. You can get close, but it's not the same.

You can build a MUCH stronger board with EPS/epoxy for less weight, and about the same cost if you don't waste a lot of resin. It's a slower process and harder to work with, but the end product has better snap and ding resistance, won't fatigue and loose it's pop over time, and will last a lot longer in general.

^^^ Agreed on all points

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    ...or you can spend a little more and get Hydroflex to glass your board. They use a vacuum process that sucks fibers into the foam, making their boards even stronger that standard epoxy glass jobs.
    Thats what my SUPERbrand Unit is... hydroflex.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HighOnLife View Post
    Thats what my SUPERbrand Unit is... hydroflex.
    you sure? Superbrand has their own "Superflex" epoxy system. I don't see any Superbrand boards listed on the Hydroflex site...nor have I ever seen them on there.

Images
    I agree with the comments on strength. My epoxy boards take beating. I also have a tufflite epoxy and its pretty much damage proof. I think I'll probably be sticking with my EPS epoxy boards moving forward.