LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Just read through this whole thread again and it's inspiring me to get going on my build. I've been sitting on some paulonia and red cedar all winter and I think it's time to get started. Nice work ClemsonSurf!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkstink View Post
    Just read through this whole thread again and it's inspiring me to get going on my build. I've been sitting on some paulonia and red cedar all winter and I think it's time to get started. Nice work ClemsonSurf!
    That's great! It really is a fun process and you have a lot of "I'm really doing it!" moments. Let me know if you want some pointers. I spent a lot of time thinking about ways to do something, doing it, then realizing a much more obvious and often easier option. There is a ton of info out there and videos on youtube.

I had to keep reminding myself that I'm not making a high performance board that will magically make me win contests and I've also come to the conclusion that I'm probably not gonna be the best surfer but I may have the best looking board (unique at least).

Making a light HWS is a real challenge. I've been using 1/8" plywood but it needs to be reinforced inside and outside. At the time of my first board, the unavailability of e-glass made me glass the board with chopped strand mat, which is a PITA to work with and you need yo sand a lot to end with a decent surface. It was heavy but indestructible. After that, I glassed 2 board with the proper fiberglass and they didn't came as light as I supposed. Think the weight is in the inner structure and on rails (solid plywood - Jensen style). Venting is always a problem, but now you can buy goretex vents which simplify things a lot. For the last 2 boards I filled them with canned insulation foam, and no vent at all. Next time I'll do the same, with no inner reinforcing, a lighter structure (with cross members every 6", maybe 4" to support the deck)and hollow rails, to see if this helps. If I can get 1 lb per foot of lenght, I'll be satisfied.
    Last edited by jackst; Mar 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Man I wish I could tell you differently but the board is kinda a dog...

Like I said earlier, I'm going cheap and light for the next one or two before I spend money on good wood again.

Lastly, it's on sale for $299,999.99.

That was good. Definitely...

Images
    IMG_4174.jpgIMG_4178.jpgIMG_4179.jpgIMG_4180.jpg

Check out HWS #2!

This one is significantly lighter than my last one and a much cheaper build. It has a single concave throughout and I'm going with a quad. Not much to change now but the fins are not set yet. Any opinions on where they are now? I may go a little further back and closer to the rails but not much.

It's about 6'3"x22"x3".

Images
    image.jpg

Here's the outline pic.

Looks pretty good. What should the final weight be?

Looks great! When will it be finished?

Is there a touch of hip in the outline? And what is the tail width? On really wide tails, I like to go in from the rail a bit more than "normal" tails. I also like no more than 1 1/4" between the leading edge of the rears, and the trailing edge of the fronts, with the rears set about 1/8" more in from the rail than the fronts. This is for single foiled fins.

What are the fin layout numbers you're thinking about?

Is this all plywood construction?

Look'n good!