LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squid Lid Vs. Full Hood

As the water gets colder, I hate having to wear a full hood. Has anyone gone all winter with a squid lid as opposed to the full hood?

Images
    that's asking for trouble.

Can't do it... at least not here. Water flushes all up under the hood every time your face gets wet. All it does is help keep some heat in when the air is cold.

I gotta go full attached hood once the water gets down into the low 50s, although I have a rash guard with hood that works well under the 4/3 until it's time to break out the 6/5/4.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Nov 8, 2011 at 05:05 PM.

4. I've worn both and prefer a squid lid all winter. More flexible and natural feeling, particularly if your hood is not connected to your suit. I've had 'em dislodge on a nasty wipeout or two but never lost one. A snug fit with a good velcro enclosure and a small brim are important. You can get through the winter but I can only speak for South NJ and NC winters. Up North in Maine, NH, or MA you might need a full hood in the coldest months.

I get cold rather easily and I wear a squid hood all winter, its cold on the neck on duck dives from time to time but I hate how restricted I feel with a full hood maybe if I had a hood attached to my suit id feel differently. I live in the vb/nc area btw.

Squid lid, then full hood not tucked in so I have more flexibility and since it covers most of my neck, the flushes aren't so bad, when it's time to tuck it in, then 6/5/4

Images
    Where do you surf? If your in nj- in my opion- there is no way you are going to last 2 hrs (let alone even a half hour) on a 30 degree day with 38 degree water and 20 mph offshore wind in 8 ft surf. I would just get the attached hood and deal with it -You may just end up liking it. Plus- if you lose that thing - wally said it best- your asking for trouble!

Get. A. Flashbomb. Just tried mine out today. Put the hood up for a bit and the thing is so flexible and warm I wanted to cry.

i really want to get a squid lid, but i feel like id look like a kook.

Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    i really want to get a squid lid, but i feel like id look like a kook.
    Hahahaha! That's the beauty of it, brother... Then, when you bust your tail out the back and give everybody who's staring at you and laughing a cold, blinding roostertail across the face, you'll be flying the kook flag high!