LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: more and more

Images

more and more

that dude with the "fear of paddling out" post reminded me

more and more I meet people who think they have surfed or are now surfers because someone put them on a long board or took a lesson and they stood up for 2 seconds in the whitewash...

and then I have to nod and be polite and they try to have a conversation about their surf experiences and I just wanna scream and run away and sometimes poke them in the eye like Moe does to Curly

for example, there is no way that dude with the "fear of paddling out" post knows how to ride a decent size wave down the line and his post made me think of this new phenomenon.

I mean doesn't it take at least 150 sessions to be able to actually look like you are surfing!!!?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eppeldaa View Post

more and more I meet people who think they have surfed or are now surfers because someone put them on a long board or took a lesson and they stood up for 2 seconds in the whitewash...

and then I have to nod and be polite and they try to have a conversation about their surf experiences and I just wanna scream and run away and sometimes poke them in the eye like Moe does to Curly

for example, there is no way that dude with the "fear of paddling out" post knows how to ride a decent size wave down the line and his post made me think of this new phenomenon.

I mean doesn't it take at least 150 sessions to be able to actually look like you are surfing!!!?
    just ignore the want to bes they will either become surfers in time or just fade away. but by all means make sure you kill some of there stoke and tell them if you see them in the line up youll break theyre 9 foot soft top gnaraloo.

surfing sucks...don't try it!

Images
    Theres a girl where I surf that has been out for about 2 years. She can stand and ride a knee high wave ok but any bigger and she freaks. The other day she was out there calling waves and "outside sets" and yelling at people to paddle harder for waves they didn't even want. Yesterday a set came and she had the nerve to ask me " you going" on a wave that I was paddling for in the priority position. I refuse to answer to someone of lesser experience and just ignore and paddle right around them unless they show some reasonable level of respect. What kind of world is it where a person with no skill is willing to act as an equal to someone who could not be more of a regular at a particular spot and has 35 years of surfing under their belt? I may not be Kelly Slater but compared to this person I may as well be.
    Last edited by Zippy; Jul 31, 2013 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Theres a girl where I surf that has been out for about 2 years she can stand and ride a knee high wave ok but any bigger and she freaks. The other day she was out there calling waves and "outside sets" and yelling at people to paddle harder for waves they don't even want.Yesterday a set came and she had the nerve to ask me " you going" on a wave that I was paddling for in the priority position. I refuse to answer to someone of lesser experience and just ignore and paddle right around them unless they show some reasonable level of respect. What kind of world is it where a person with no skill is willing to act as an equal to someone who could not be more of a regular at a particular spot and has 35 years of surfing under their belt? I may not be Kelly Slater but compared to this person I may as well be.
    Wow, do you surf 1st Street VB? You just painted a picture of what the place has become in the last 10 years. Sad when the best surfers out are over 35 years of age and ride shortboards and the kids are all on funboards and total kooks.

+1
    this forum "jumps the shark" every summer.

Quote Originally Posted by backside hack View Post
    +1
    this forum "jumps the shark" every summer.
    Dude, in case you haven't heard, we are in the middle of Sharknado Season. Keep your hands and legs inside the moving vehicle, buckle your seat belt, and enjoy the ride.

I remember my first real wave was on a cold November evening, probably 5 or 6 foot with offshore winds. It was my first large wave that was walled up and I worked it down the line. It felt amazing and I am always searching for that same feeling. So yes real surfing takes many sessions.

Images
    has this been discussed?
    people who are now surfers because they have gone out twice...

You made me think of Greg Noll in one of the old surf flicks when asked what he thought about the Gidget movie. "It just made me wanna f*#%ing puke".