LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ryukyu Islands
    Posts
    522
    The “war on drugs” is responsible for more death, destruction and despair than any other war.
    You are a moron! The war on drugs has not resulted in 2,489,335 causalities (total in US wars from 1775-present). Go ahead and take another binger cause obviously intelligent thinking and conversation are not your thing.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ocean County NJ
    Posts
    1,104
    Images
    1
    Testing for performance enhancers makes sense because they create an unfair advantage within the sport itself. Testing for recreational drugs is an invasion of privacy. If it doesn’t affect you or your safety it’s none of your business. If you drink its ok, if you drink, drive, and jeopardize innocent peoples safety in the process you’re a selfish a$$hole. So if some pros are getting lit behind closed doors and not bothering any one, it’s no one’s business but their own!
    I get the professional sport in the limelight thing but which of the pros was publicly misbehaving on drugs anyway (recently)? What problem has recently hatched involving recreational drug use? These guys are the most elite athletes in the world and they didn’t get so elite with needles and crack pipes.
    Gotta love how people attempt to dictate how you run YOUR life. Have some respect for guys that earned it!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    I wonder to what respect AI has anything to do with the policing of recreational drug use on tour.
    To some respect, perhaps the ASP, wants to protect themselves and the athletes from any potential negative influence the tour may provide.

    Can you imagine, if the music industry decided test for recreational drug use?
    The music industry would die!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    2,340
    The entire drug testing idea is a completely slippery slope and the only way to address it is to ban the use of *all* drugs. IF you are going to do it, where do you draw the line in how you define "performance enhancing?"
    I'm certain RedBull and Rockstar will not see any ill effects from these rules since they are major sponsors--even though it could be argued that the swill they make is "performance enhancing" and has been proven to cause long term and chronic heart and liver damage.
    Also, how will they even define "drug?" Are they going to label caffeine a drug (keeps you up)? How about melatonin (makes you sleepy), or even really spicy food since it can cause an endorphin euphoria much like mild ecstasy? How about when a surfer gets injured and is prescribed an opiate or narcotic pain killer but is still able to surf in the next event even though they are injured.... would they be DQ'd?
    I think it's all a bunch of BS. They essentially say "this plant is bad, but this one is good" and "better living through chemistry IF it comes from a billion dollar pharma company but you're doing something bad if you are using a chemical (ie cocaine) that was made in a Colombian jungle."
    The only *real* solution is to require each pro surfer to adhere to a strict macrobiotic diet and live in monastery-like conditions or something like Bubble Boy. LOL

    ps, I'm sure Wilko will have a fit!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Testing for recreational drugs is an invasion of privacy. If it doesn’t affect you or your safety it’s none of your business. ... So if some pros are getting lit behind closed doors and not bothering any one, it’s no one’s business but their own!
    1. Demanding that people comply with EXISTING LAWS is not an invasion of privacy. ASP has every right to insist people obey the law, at least in the USA (and pretty much every other country on the tour).

    2. Pro surfers are paid mainly as a marketing asset. Hence, the individual PERSONAL marketability of each athlete is one of the highest interests of the governing body administration. It's a job. You want to go do whatever the heck you want? Fine, but no one is required to hire you. It's called a social contract, and both parties bear responsibilities.

    Anticipated Rebuttal: "Oh, but what about racism and sexism and other discriminations in the workplace?"

    Preemptive Answer: Again, those are ILLEGAL. The drugs in question are ILLEGAL. The ASP has every right to discriminate against people who don't obey the law. Additionally, drug use is a CHOICE. By every definition, illegal discrimination is based on things one cannot control (example, the gay rights debate centered around this specific question). Behavioral choices, particularly ones that are illegal and cast a negative light on the organization, are NOT a valid basis for illegal discrimination.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    I wonder to what respect AI has anything to do with the policing of recreational drug use on tour.
    To some respect, perhaps the ASP, wants to protect themselves and the athletes from any potential negative influence the tour may provide.

    Can you imagine, if the music industry decided test for recreational drug use?
    The music industry would die!
    I think this AI's death has everything to do with this. Google "surfer drug addiction" and you'll hit hundreds of articles about Andy. It's a black mark upon the whole organization. I really do think this isn't intended as a police state intervention type of deal. The higher-up's in the ASP are mostly former pro's themselves who genuinely care about the athletes and don't want to see them succumb to the same problems.

    As for your second question, probably yes!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    The entire drug testing idea is a completely slippery slope and the only way to address it is to ban the use of *all* drugs. IF you are going to do it, where do you draw the line in how you define "performance enhancing?"
    I'm certain RedBull and Rockstar will not see any ill effects from these rules since they are major sponsors--even though it could be argued that the swill they make is "performance enhancing" and has been proven to cause long term and chronic heart and liver damage.
    Also, how will they even define "drug?" Are they going to label caffeine a drug (keeps you up)? How about melatonin (makes you sleepy), or even really spicy food since it can cause an endorphin euphoria much like mild ecstasy? How about when a surfer gets injured and is prescribed an opiate or narcotic pain killer but is still able to surf in the next event even though they are injured.... would they be DQ'd?
    I think it's all a bunch of BS. They essentially say "this plant is bad, but this one is good" and "better living through chemistry IF it comes from a billion dollar pharma company but you're doing something bad if you are using a chemical (ie cocaine) that was made in a Colombian jungle."
    The only *real* solution is to require each pro surfer to adhere to a strict macrobiotic diet and live in monastery-like conditions or something like Bubble Boy. LOL

    ps, I'm sure Wilko will have a fit!
    I completely agree with your dilemma, though I arrive at the opposite conclusion. In the case of "energy drinks" I think it's a tragedy that we market this stuff. I spent a year drinking that stuff (like 2 Monsters/day) and can say without a doubt that it's terrible for you. McDonald's is terrible for you, while we're on the subject. So how do we ensure only good wholesome products are marketed? That's a societal problem. It boggles my mind how we continue to do all this stuff, somehow convinced that it's not a problem. I don't think pro athletes should be marketing any of that crap. Yet they do, and we Americans are all fat and slow with diabetes. Surprised?

    As for medical stuff, I'm all for searching the Amazon for the "perfect cure". We over-prescribe. That's not a debate, but a fact. Many doctors will write a prescription for seemingly any reason. It's crazy to me. Personally I go to great lengths to use only herbal cures (yes, I have no problem with med. weed).

    Back to drugs...take a look at a typical meth addict and tell me that it does not have an acute, severe effect on health. We don't need an answer because it's common knowledge. If you don't think meth destroys lives, then clearly you haven't been exposed to it. As we said, the war on drugs is an abject failure. Now it's ALL THE MORE IMPORTANT that leaders in society do everything possible to steer young people away from addiction and early death. Firing a pro surfer for abusing recreational drugs sends the message to kids that drugs will ruin your life. If the ASP wants to be a responsible organization, it's not only permissible for them to take this step, but ESSENTIAL.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Davy Jones' Locker
    Posts
    1,386
    Images
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by surfdawave View Post
    testing for performance enhancing drugs seems like a legitimate idea (even though doesnt seem like too many surfers are juicing), but testing for recreational drugs is another story.

    testing for recreational drugs (in addition to reinforcing the corrupt ideology of the war on drugs, which goes against what 99% of surfers in the world stand for, not that we promote drug use but we tend to be against stupid policies like marijuana prohibition which hurt more people than they help) doesnt make any sense. Pot isnt going to help anyone win a surf competion. Remember Ross Rebagliati in the 1998 winter olympics? how was marijuana giving him a competitive edge in snowboarding?
    You would be surprised how many surfers actually juice. I know some of the pros been using Stanozolol for years now. Everyone wants to be better than the next or the best. Some people want to be the best at what they do. I'm not surprised at all. Once, they start to test for enhancement drugs. Athletes will just switch to more organic non testable drugs just like the NFL does.

    Performance Enhancement drugs are here to stay. Whether you like it or not. They are getting more popular every year. With that said, right here in (monmouth county) there are people in the water ON performance drugs.

    IMO on weed. Weed will either make you have a ridiculous sesh or a horrible one.

    my .02 cents

  9. #29
    Dude this could go up or down. I'm for sure against drug testing. I usually surf better sober, but when I used to pole vault in high school my best height was when I was rollin, it was sick

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    148
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by stranded in smithfield View Post
    you are a moron! The war on drugs has not resulted in 2,489,335 causalities (total in us wars from 1775-present). Go ahead and take another binger cause obviously intelligent thinking and conversation are not your thing.
    not combined you asshole!

    http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/drug-war-victim/

    DOUCHEBAG.
    Last edited by Masterjasson; Nov 12, 2011 at 09:10 PM.