LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    West Long Branch, New Jersey, United States
    Definately 3/2 and 5/4. Having a 4/3 is great though. Ive never eventried a 6 mil suit but theres a few days I think it would've been nice. I usually got at least and hour in on the coldest days I've surfed though in Jan and Feb.

West Long Branch, New Jersey, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    the other thing I do, is I have a fleece shirt with attached hood that you can put under 4/3s... It really helps keep you warm, but I find it makes things really tight and un-flexible.
    I did that for a little while but its pretty uncomfortable. Id rather just put on my 5 mil with the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by kielsun View Post
    Let's face it, surfing is expensive and my worn-out wetsuits are giving me the shivers. The thing is, I only want to buy TWO wetsuits to use all year. I don't mind being a bit warm or constricted if it means I can save $300. The problem is, I want to be able to surf with my buddies in the Northeast during the fall/winter in addition to my regular surfing in MD/DE...

That said, would I be hating life if I only owned a 4/3 and a 6/5/4?

I know that a 6/5/4 is overkill for MD/DE winters, but I figure that an extra mm isn't going to hurt much. Then I'd go with the 4/3 for all other seasons that others would likely be sporting 3/2s. Am I crazy, or is this a reasonable plan if I don't want to spend all of my money on neoprene?
    Hey bro...dont know if it will fit...but I have a brand new West Fluid Lotus 6/5/4 that has never been worn I can sell you at a good discount if you are interested. It's a LT size though. Chest zip. PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by WesB View Post
    Hey bro...dont know if it will fit...but I have a brand new West Fluid Lotus 6/5/4 that has never been worn I can sell you at a good discount if you are interested. It's a LT size though. Chest zip. PM me if interested.
    Thanks, but I bought an e-bomb 5.5/4.5 today. Wouldn't fit me, either.

always had a 3/2 excel infiniti and 4/3 psycho 2 but it def gets freakn cold during long sessions in the deep winter months probably will move to the 5/4 when I get a new suit this season or next...and from my experience the chest zip is soo much more comfortable and less binding in the neck than the oneill zen zip.

I just have a few questions about wetsuits and decided to post them in this thread rather than make a new one.

1. Is a 5/4/3 better than a 5/4, all other things being equal? Does a 5/4/3 have three layers of neoprene, as opposed to a 5/4, which has two?

2. Is a 5/4/3 or 5/4 sufficient for surfing in NY during the winter? I already have a 7mm boots and gloves.

3. Are any of these 5/4/3 wetsuits good enough for NY winter (they seem awfully cheap)? http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page...its-5/MWFU7F54 http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page...uits-5/SA501MG

Images
    to answer your questions:

1. 5/4 is a bit warmer than 5/4/3. I believe the way it works is 5 mils of neo in chest/back 4 mils of neo in arms and 3 mils of neo in legs. I may have the arms and legs reversed but this makes most sense to me. So the numbers aren't in regards to layers of neo but thickness. SO a 5/4 would have 5 in chest/back or core and 4 mils in the legs and arms.

2. Yes a 5/4/3 or 5/4 especially with 7 mil boots and gloves is plenty for NY

3. those look decent but it isn't clear if they have integrated hoods. I have never seen a 5/4 or 5/4/3 without a hood but you want to make sure the hood is attached. The one says it comes with a bibbed hood and that's not the best option although those prices are pretty good. Both brands are good, Quiksilver's stuff has come a long way in the past few years. I have the cypher and I love that thing. 5/4/3 is plenty for NJ winters.

3/2 and either a hooded 5/4 or 6/5/4.

I'm in Nj and have been using only two suits for a decade. I don't even use a good 3/2, it's a $100 suit. Yeah, I'm a little warm in the late fall early winter when i make the switch but it's no big deal.

Guessing most of the people against the 6 mil have never used one. I always used a 5 mil until 3 years ago, now I won't go back. I notice the extra warmth more than the restriction of a thicker suit.

I also only use one set of boots and gloves. Same thing, hands and feet sweat at the initial transition but no big deal. You can always pull the neck out and flush yourself if you get too warm....too cold and your done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    to answer your questions:

1. 5/4 is a bit warmer than 5/4/3. I believe the way it works is 5 mils of neo in chest/back 4 mils of neo in arms and 3 mils of neo in legs. I may have the arms and legs reversed but this makes most sense to me. So the numbers aren't in regards to layers of neo but thickness. SO a 5/4 would have 5 in chest/back or core and 4 mils in the legs and arms.

2. Yes a 5/4/3 or 5/4 especially with 7 mil boots and gloves is plenty for NY

3. those look decent but it isn't clear if they have integrated hoods. I have never seen a 5/4 or 5/4/3 without a hood but you want to make sure the hood is attached. The one says it comes with a bibbed hood and that's not the best option although those prices are pretty good. Both brands are good, Quiksilver's stuff has come a long way in the past few years. I have the cypher and I love that thing. 5/4/3 is plenty for NJ winters.

Agreed- once again- make sure that the hood is attached- if your buying a new WINTER suit, don't mess around- get the attached hood.... unless you like to get flushed and ice cream headaches...

And Wallys correct about the thickness of the suit- the number refers to how thick (in millimeters) the neoprene is in different areas of the suit.

Get the cypher- its the suit that kelly wears...

10. I use a 2 mil and a 5mil. A good 5 mil is plenty warm all winter up here in RI. The 2 mil lasts until about late oct-mid november. I would rather be a little chilly than hyperventilating and hot.