LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

RIP Monmouth Beach...

Sand pumping has begun...

Images
    Whoops, there goes another multimillion dollar fruitless attempt to save the 1% property owners. . .

MDSurfer drinking the 1% kool aide.

Images
    give it 2 or 3 good storms and it'll be back. and i live 2 blocks away so ill be the first to know

Harvey Cedars still hasn't recovered from pumping last winter. I have a feeling it will take more than a couple storms, but I hope I'm wrong...

Insanity is repeating the same thing over on over and expecting different results.

You you think the Army Core of Engineers would come up with an artificial reef design that would work, or is that too much for them?

7. They are about to pump the north half of Brant Beach, ending at 57th street. I'm sure the rest of Long Beach Township will follow shortly. These breaks weren't premier but they were certainly rideable and kept the crowds thinner elsewhere on the island. LBI is really starting to lose its appeal as a surf break with the loss of Cedars and now much of Long Beach Township. I'm curious to see if it affects local business.

Quote Originally Posted by ginsumagic View Post
    Insanity is repeating the same thing over on over and expecting different results.

You you think the Army Core of Engineers would come up with an artificial reef design that would work, or is that too much for them?
    But if they did that, they'd put themselves out of business. The insanity will continue as long as it is profitable...

Quote Originally Posted by stayabovetheweather View Post
    They are about to pump the north half of Brant Beach, ending at 57th street. I'm sure the rest of Long Beach Township will follow shortly. These breaks weren't premier but they were certainly rideable and kept the crowds thinner elsewhere on the island. LBI is really starting to lose its appeal as a surf break with the loss of Cedars and now much of Long Beach Township. I'm curious to see if it affects local business.
    Surfers do not add a whole lot to the local economy (that is why the govt just laughs at us when we complain about their projects destroying our breaks). Hope for an active NorEaster season...we are due, I really miss my old Cedar breaks.

$13 million

800,000 cubic yards of sand (vs. 4.6 million in 94)

9 feet high (same as 94)

100 feet wide (same)

Weeks Marine of Cranford, NJ will do the work (same)

"Borrow Area" (appropriately named, as the sand will surely make it's way back there) off Sandy Hook, where it will be sucked off the bottom and into a barge, then shipped down to MB, and pumped back onto the beach

45 pumping days; 4 months of work, total

And if that sounds crazy to you, in Cape May, a different contractor is expected to get nearly the same amount of money ($12 million) for moving about half the amount of sand (440,000 cubic yards) next month in a replenishment project there. I guess they're getting ripped off.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Nov 15, 2011 at 12:57 AM.