LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    Lost makes the Round Nose Fish right? and here's the link to the shaper if I win it. He's based in
    Huntington Beach, CA.

http://www.bettissurfboards.com/
    Yeah ...lost makes the Round Nose Fish, but many other shapers have a ROund Nose Fish, which is a high Performance fish. My shaper has one (he actually does alot of ...lost round nose fish as a ghost shaper) but the high performcase fish is one of the best all around shapes for our spot here in VB . YOu have the low entry rocker and a wider nose to get into waves early , and due to this you can ride the boards shorter than a typical shortboard which fits in the pocket of our smaller surf better and its more manuevarble because of the shortened rail length, but they carry enough foam to still float well in the small stuff. The single to double concave also creates a ton of drive which helps when the waves are small

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pkovo View Post
    Here's my two cents...I would probably go with a variation of the old school fish he has posted as one of his "stock" shapes on the website. Why? He has the templates, is comfortable shaping that model, has probably shaped a bunch of them so should have some idea what works best for someone of your size/experience. Plus, the Rocket is a great board, but entirely different from a fish, as others have said. If you end up not liking it, the old school fish shapes are pretty easy to unload as well.

2nd choice would be a longboard. Although I rarely ride one now, they can be a blast, and real easy to iunload if you dont like it.

Description of the twin from his website:

Time tested and virtually unchanged, "The Old School Fish" is based on an original fish shape that somehow survived in the rafters since the '70s. She's wide and flat with no channels or concaves to complicate things. With just a flat bottom and two keel fins she's fast, very fast.

Stock dimensions:

Length - 5' 6" to 6'

Nose - 17 to 18"

Width - 22"

Tail - 16 1/2"

Thickness - 2 1/2"

Wow. what you and LB have posted is really helpful. If I get a fish I'm definitely going to suggest that he use his template for them with some East Coast modifications. Probably going to go with a 5'7 or 5'8 cuz the extra length always helps, about 21" 1/2 or 21 3/4" width for a little more bite, 2 1/2 thickness. I really don't want too much rocker on it because i want the speed there so what would be a good dimension for that?

I like 4"N and 1 5/8"-2"T (depending on bottom contours) on about a 6'0. If you get the right plug, you can add a bit of flip in the nose over the last 4-5 inches for better performance. So that 4"N includes that flip.

I like a combination of subtle concaves and vee in the bottom... light vee in the entry, to light single, to double concave out the back. If you do that, you can nudge the fins slightly forward and/or in from the rail, and go with less tail rocker. If you go simple flat to vee bottom (more traditional) you can go with a bit more tail rocker, but not kicked... really natural over the back third, keep the fins back, and let the vee add some rail rocker through the tail.

My 2 cents...
    Last edited by LBCrew; Nov 17, 2011 at 06:27 PM.