LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf rage

Continuing the off topic tangent...
    Hahaha... Nazi old ladies have been ruling SunCatcher since it was just a 15x20 addition to the Mimi Shop in 1981. I worked there in the early-mid 80s, and was the only surfer on the payroll for some time. Before I worked there, they were clothing only. Granted, I was nowhere near "running the place", but I was the connection to the surfing community. I was in charge of the daily surf report, and anytime anyone wanted to buy a board, they were directed to me. The owner is a great guy, and knew the value of becoming a "real surf shop" even though the money is all about the clothing. We started to stock boards, wax, wetsuits, skateboards, and even for a few years produced some boards with a SunCatcher label. I may have the only surviving SunCatcher board from that era. They were actually really nice boards, shaped by Tom Eaton from Red Bank. Later, Tod (who would eventually open TBH in Avalon) worked there too. Actually, the owners sons kinda ran the place after I graduated from college, and had to move on to a real job. It was a great place to work. It was all positive vibrations during my tenure.

To get back on topic, we did have one guy who worked there for a while who was kinda an aggro Avalon local. He once dropped in on my brother, who then fell. Mr. Aggro perceived this fall as an intentional shooting of the board on my brother's part, and paddled over, got all in my brother's face and punched his board, right in the stringer on the bottom.
    Last edited by CaptJAQ; Nov 15, 2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: details..

Quote Originally Posted by stayabovetheweather View Post
    I have been on both ends of surf rage over the past few years. I was working in Manhattan and living in the Rockaways from mid 2009 till mid 2011. The lineups are infested with kooks who are completely unfamiliar with surf etiquette. I was dropped in on, had boards ditched at me, and had people take off on top of me with no control of the board and no chance to make drops. When I felt that people would endanger me in the lineup, I typically reacted with 5 minute verbal tirades. On occasion it resulted in some jarring on the beach, but never anything too physical.

My reaction may not have been the best, but it seemed to work. I often saw people I had chewed out in the lineup later on being respectful and giving me a friendly wave when both checking the surf. In cases where people violate surf etiquette b/c they simply don't know the rules, I think regulating is the right thing to do b/c it will make the lineup safer and can even breed people into \"locals\" who regulate a spot rather than make it dangerous.

I have since moved to Ocean City, NJ as I no longer had work in the big city. I have since been on the receiving end of \"surf rage.\" It turns out that a few older locals, whose surfing ability is mediocre at best, think they own surf spots because they have surfed them the longest. I first learned this when paddling out at a certain spot on the north end of the island on a chest high day. I got dropped in on by the same local about 4 times. I wasn't hassling him, nor had I disrespected anyone, and I took the drop ins silently. Finally I got fed up and decided to race him down the line. I caught him about 30 yards down the line and as i passed him, he grabbed my leash and we both went down. He started yelling about how this spot was not a \"democracy\" (I think he meant meritocracy) and demanded to know my name and where i was from. I told him it was none of his business and he came at me and slapped me in the face. I was taken aback, and decided to just paddle back towards the peak. He hasn't dropped in on me since.

I had a similar altercation surfing the same spot with a friend of mine. A different older local dropped in on my friend, and my friend hollered, letting him know he was there. The older local did not cede the wave, and on the way back to the lineup started talking smack, telling my friend to shut his mouth and that it was HIS Jetty. Being in earshot, I calmly told him that he snaked my friend and he has no reason to complain. The local told me it was his jetty and I should go home. He then paddled right up next to me and sat there. Then a wave came and I got shacked off my gord. He doesn't drop in on me or my buddy anymore.

I think the the lesson of this all is that regulating when people don't know any better might make you look like an ass, but it actually does keep things safer. When old entrenched locals try to intimidate people out of the water, and claim the waves are \"theirs\" even though they don't want to work for it, it's important to just stand up for yourself. Those guys are typically cowards and don't want to actually fight. They're just looking for a way to pad their waning egos. The cream will always rise to the top.
    Know exactly who you talkin bout, lol he does think he owns the jetty, yells at everyone for everything, he dropped in on me a couple of times and when I said something told me he was the best out here and it was his spot lol, I will say his tactics work I try to never surf with him just not worth the aggravation plus the storms have made my block fn sweet this year so far!!!!!! Tho I saw the front end loaders moving sand today, so prob not gonna last.

I am not familiar with this lady but one of the "older locals" that I spoke of in my previous post also has affiliation with Heritage. You would think that, as a slinger of surf gear, you would want to be pleasant and drive traffic to your breaks, and thus your surfshop. Instead, everyone I know from Heritage is an A$$hole who tries to intimidate the very surfers that put food on their plates and a roof over their head. I too will never step foot in Heritage. F-ck that place.
    +1 f them, always get a we're better than you vibe in there, plus I let a good friend of mine, who wanted to start surfing again after a long lay off, go in there alone to buy a board and walked out with a 6'6' DHD shortboard that some kid told him was a good board to start on LOL, on the bright side I love that board and got it for nothing.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Harhar View Post
    Know exactly who you talkin bout, lol he does think he owns the jetty, yells at everyone for everything, he dropped in on me a couple of times and when I said something told me he was the best out here and it was his spot lol, I will say his tactics work I try to never surf with him just not worth the aggravation plus the storms have made my block fn sweet this year so far!!!!!! Tho I saw the front end loaders moving sand today, so prob not gonna last.
    Speaking of moving sand, did you notice what they were doing between the pipe and the Brighton Pl, Jetty? (north end ferris wheel) They dug a giant hole between the pipe and the jetty with the displaced sand up front at dead low tide. That will definitely be underwater for the few hours around high and it totally destabilized all the sand. Who is telling this bulldozer what to do and what is their logic?

rage at waverly

I was surfing waverly a few weeks back and this old bald dude in a Capt'n John's sleeveless wetsuit was getting all aggro. I took off on the peak on a chest + day and he drops in on me. When I confront him, I wasn't going to yell at him, he flips out and complains how it's his peak and no one else should surf his peak. The guy sucked and could barley hold the peak so I just paddled around him and ignored him. This guy sounds like the same guy you all are complaining about.

And stayabovetheweather I checked out your http://www.stayabovetheweather.blogspot.com/ and rad the Declaration of Stay Above the Weather and I love it! It's exactly what I have been looking for and speaks to me. Everyone should check it out!

Surfing is a great way to Stay Above the Weather!

Images
    I was in Tavarua, Fiji aka CloudBreak. It was triple oh long period swell and as the set came i took got totally pitted spit out and in front of me i saw a guy drop in, for the third time. Fueled by andrenaline i quickly reached for my diving knife quickly jabbing him in the gut as i passed over top the lip. I then told him now your at the mercy of the sea and gods creatures shall hold you accountable, and finished a pretty fun session.

Images
    "Sounds like Waverly. Dont understand why EVERYONE on the island surfs there.....and all who do have some kind of rage issue..."

You nailed the spot obv. The funny thing is it's really only 2 or 3 locals that have the rage issues. Most of the guys who paddle out there, even the older locals, are super cool. After surfing lefts only for 3 years in AC and NYC, scoring reeling Waverly Rights is worth dealing with the few A$$holes. But there are definitely other spots in the area that can get all time.
    waveryly wasn't working before I left. north to 5th were the better areas. I have never yelled at anyone. I have given glares which usually work since I am a large guy at 6'3 225. Or I nicely inform them to not drop in or make sure you look both ways. Getting crazy upset is useless, but if I were you guys and being blatenly disrespected, I would say something. Truth is, no one owns the ocean, and if the person who is new to the lineup is acting normal and not doing anything stupid, who cares if he shares the waves with you. People are stupid plain and simple

Marknel you finaly showed yourself. I have been lurking on this forum waiting, waiting for the day that the person that stabbed me would come on and brag about it. Yes it was me at cloudbreak that warm winter day and now I know where you are.

Speaking of moving sand, did you notice what they were doing between the pipe and the Brighton Pl, Jetty? (north end ferris wheel) They dug a giant hole between the pipe and the jetty with the displaced sand up front at dead low tide. That will definitely be underwater for the few hours around high and it totally destabilized all the sand. Who is telling this bulldozer what to do and what is their logic?
    I saw they had a large pile of sand right between jetty & pipe , I saw it right around dead low (3ish), I didn't see the hole but figured they were trying to fill in some of the sand they've lost there. They were spreading it south towards music pier from what I could see. Figured they would spread the pile before dark, doubt they left it for the tide.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJAQ View Post
    Continuing the off topic tangent...
    Hahaha... Nazi old ladies have been ruling SunCatcher since it was just a 15x20 addition to the Mimi Shop in 1981. I worked there in the early-mid 80s, and was the only surfer on the payroll for some time. Before I worked there, they were clothing only. Granted, I was nowhere near "running the place", but I was the connection to the surfing community. I was in charge of the daily surf report, and anytime anyone wanted to buy a board, they were directed to me. The owner is a great guy, and knew the value of becoming a "real surf shop" even though the money is all about the clothing. We started to stock boards, wax, wetsuits, skateboards, and even for a few years produced some boards with a SunCatcher label. I may have the only surviving SunCatcher board from that era. They were actually really nice boards, shaped by Tom Eaton from Red Bank. Later, Tod (who would eventually open TBH in Avalon) worked there too. Actually, the owners sons kinda ran the place after I graduated from college, and had to move on to a real job. It was a great place to work. It was all positive vibrations during my tenure.

To get back on topic, we did have one guy who worked there for a while who was kinda an aggro Avalon local. He once dropped in on my brother, who then fell. Mr. Aggro perceived this fall as an intentional shooting of the board on my brother's part, and paddled over, got all in my brother's face and punched his board, right in the stringer on the bottom.
    ...i know who your talking about. Also, the two sons run SC now. And regarding TBH, bought my first board from there. 5'9 cannible roundnose fish. Still have the ol' TBH NJ stickers on my beach crusier. I used to be the little **** grom that sat in the duct taped/stickered up chair and watch surf movies all day. Also, I wish i was around for New Vision surf shop. heard that place was killer