LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First Surf Trip Destinations?

Want a good first trip internationally when I graduate highschool. Any recomendations for an intermediate surfer traveling solo on a budget? Thanks.

Costa rica! Playa Negra, Playa Avellanas.. http://casa-surf.com/ rooms for $10 a night

3. Costa Rica was my first surf trip and it rocked. I stayed a few nights in Playa Hermosa and then trekked up to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais. I think the waves are a bit better there for beginners, a little less power and not quite as steep. My friend runs a surf hostel in Santa Teresa. Wifi, good food, and mad cheap. Check it out and Stay Above the Weather! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cabina...sa/14171945074

Can't think of a better place for a first time trip than CR. I know it's become heavily traveled and a cliche but its got a variety of waves to choose from and awesome food for the $$$. Hit Ollie's Point if you do decide to go (if theres a decent sized swell). You and the 500 other people in the lineup will be stoked.
    Ollie's Point circa 1995 - Me, two friends, and 3 guys who pulled in on a motorized catamaran. 8ft faces and clean. One of the best sessions I've ever had.
    Ollies Point circa 2002 - Me, two friends and 20 others. Make sure your boat driver represents. This can be especially helpful as our's decided to paddle out and block for us when boards started bumping. He earned his $$$ that day. I can only imagine what it would look like now. Have fun.
    Last edited by havanasand; Nov 20, 2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo

info@morronegrito.travel Talk to Glenn at Morro Negrito. Panama City was 450 round trip direct to DC. Same waves as CR, less people in the water. This place rocked if you are cool with incredible food and surf/fish focused trips. 9 breaks all around the island, rooms right on the ocean, the longest boat trip to a break is 10 minutes. The shortest is walking right out of your room to surf low tide.

Do you really want to be traveling solo to a less developed or third world country? Then running the chance of surfing solo?

Images
    Panama and Costa are hardly less developed/third world countries, and surfing solo isnt likely to happen in either place, unless you want to. Spots that fire are going to have surfers. Hell, the bus service is so good it might be easier/cheaper to travel around surfing solo there than in the US.

+1 on CR and Morro Negrito and no worries about being alone! haha if we could be so lucky this day and age to find good solo spots! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dmonster View Post
    Do you really want to be traveling solo to a less developed or third world country? Then running the chance of surfing solo?
    The only place anyone is surfing solo now that the surf industry has marketed to the world is Antarctica. Well, maybe a few places in Africa where the point breaks get hit with mortar fire.

Boat trip.