LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    wilmington north carolina
    Posts
    15
    Images
    3

    surfing can be a class 3 misdemeaner

    So on November 3, 2011 I was surfing the northside of Johnny Mercers Peir of Wrightsville Beach, NC when i got the blue lights and the wave in by the fine WBPD. So me and another fellow surfer walked up to the officer and and he brought out his citation book and began to write us a ticket. I told the officer that ive never even had a warning. BTY we were within a 100 ft from the red pole , we will say 400 ft from the peir and there was nobody on the beach or on the peir. The officer told us that we have to go to court to pay this ticket cause there is no other way to keep track of this fine. Now on my court date, i went to court and was saw by the judge. pleaded my case and the judge told me that i will have to talk to the assistant DA. The DA didnt talk to me just called me up to the bench and handed me my judgement: 6 months unsupervised probatation, 6 hrs community service and $380 in fines. with a misdemeaner on my record. needless to say i got it continued. Seriously a record for surfing. Ive saved people that got sucked out in rip currents several times over the many years of surfing. I am just floored that surfing can be a class 3 misdemeaner.

  2. #2
    that is unbelievable. the town must be hurting financialy to go after surfers for tickets.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    2,340
    Sounds to me like they are trying to make an example out of you, which is typical of WB. My suggestion is to call John Phillips of Broadwell and Phillips. If there is anyone out there who could possibly do something about it, it's him. Plus, he's an avid surfer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    that is unbelievable. the town must be hurting financialy to go after surfers for tickets.
    LOL Wrightsville Beach hurting financially LOL

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    wishing & waiting, Texas
    Posts
    122
    Images
    9
    I seriously would have walked in there with a tazer, and ****ing tazed every one of those power hungry unprofessional pigs.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    wilmington north carolina
    Posts
    15
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowntreyble View Post
    I seriously would have walked in there with a tazer, and ****ing tazed every one of those power hungry unprofessional pigs.
    dont tazer me dude

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    922
    Images
    2
    that is absolute horse**** man. I could understand the ticket (asshole cop if he didn't give you a warning) but a misdemeanor??? i hope your appeal goes in your favor. Surfing a crime? sounds like something surfrider foundation could take a look into...

  8. #8
    soon they are going to make posting online about such incidents a crime as well...our system is broken. I remember surfing down at a spot near here in NY and the police rolled up and it was during a hurricane. The police ticketed some surfers who drove down the beach without a "fishermans" pass, and then went to the loud speaker trying to call off 40+ surfers off of clean waist-head high hurricane barrels.....that really didnt go over well , and the guys just stayed out while the cops stood on the beach. Now surfing at the spot is legal. At the time it was "prohibited" due to fisherman, but there were no fisherman this day......

    Basically, fisherman means revenue for the state, surfers mean nuisance.

  9. #9
    weird dude. i literally never see police in WB. I still don't understand why you even got a ticket

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by dkline View Post
    So on November 3, 2011 I was surfing the northside of Johnny Mercers Peir of Wrightsville Beach, NC when i got the blue lights and the wave in by the fine WBPD. So me and another fellow surfer walked up to the officer and and he brought out his citation book and began to write us a ticket. I told the officer that ive never even had a warning. BTY we were within a 100 ft from the red pole , we will say 400 ft from the peir and there was nobody on the beach or on the peir. The officer told us that we have to go to court to pay this ticket cause there is no other way to keep track of this fine. Now on my court date, i went to court and was saw by the judge. pleaded my case and the judge told me that i will have to talk to the assistant DA. The DA didnt talk to me just called me up to the bench and handed me my judgement: 6 months unsupervised probatation, 6 hrs community service and $380 in fines. with a misdemeaner on my record. needless to say i got it continued. Seriously a record for surfing. Ive saved people that got sucked out in rip currents several times over the many years of surfing. I am just floored that surfing can be a class 3 misdemeaner.
    did you have your leash on? thats the big question.