LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expecting...

Expecting...

So a friend of mine is expecting a baby any day now and we were discussing how long he would wait before going surfing.
    I'm interested to see where the general consensus is.
    if its epic, once in a lifetime, conditions would you go the next day?
    or do you put on the blinders for a week?

Once in a lifetime conditins?

Surf. She doesn't have to know...

Images
    Having gone through this twice in three years, I know there is time to get out, and I did. If she's in the hospital with a C-section for a couple days, the baby is in the nursery 90% of the time. I dont know how long the mom is hospitalized with a uterine birth though. Plus, there's always family around to occupy mom/ baby. So if she is understanding, there is definitely time.

we just had a baby last monday the 21st.. i'm dying to get in but i also felt she wanted me at the hospital for company.. we had a c and the baby was in the room more then the nursery i would say 90 percent in the room 10 in the nursery.. they would drop him off at 5am to feed him etc. my wifes still on pain meds so i kinda have to be around to help plus we have a dog to take out and take care off also.. i'm eyeing up sat. to get away for a couple hours don't know if i can do it though.. there will always be waves again at some point down the line

Images
    I have a 4 month old baby. haven't surfed as much as I would like. It definitely changes your lifestyle a bit.

But, like said above if she is understanding...and family is around....go charge!

she will be preocupied with the delivery, might not notice if your gone for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post
    ...definitely changes your lifestyle a bit.
    A BIT? Hahahaha...!!! I have three kids. At one time they were all 7 years old and younger. For YEARS I only surfed if the planets were aligned.

But things get easier with time. And remember... when the plane's going down they tell you to put your oxygen mask on first before you help somebody else. That's 'cause you're no good to anybody if your toast. Sometimes getting a few good waves is like getting a deep breath of fresh air... let's you deal with all of life's other demands a little easier. Being a calm and happy dad rubs off on everyone else in the family. But then you gotta step in and take over... let mom get a facial... or buy shoes... or whatever they do...
    Last edited by LBCrew; Dec 1, 2011 at 05:29 PM.

Question from a non-parent... Is it worth it? I'm in the, do I or don't I want kids zone right now. Part of me really thinks it would be cool to have one, maayybe two, but I reeeeally like having my freedom. And the wifes biological clock (stomp stomp stomp) is ticking...

Images
    With one, you can still have a social life and log your water time, while you take turns watching the kid and going out. Once we had 2, we felt bad about leaving the other with both kids... social life? No concept of that. Sessions are far between. Even though she wants me to go surfing and get out any stress/ frustrations, I still feel guilty. When they're older and a little calmer, it'll probably be different. (one is 2, the other 3 1/2)

I'd say if you're debating about it, DON'T have kids. When it came time for me to have kids, I knew it. I really, genuinely WANTED kids. But that's just me....

As far as how many, they say with two kids you can still do man-on-man... with three you gotta go to zone.