LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expecting...

all good thoughts, I'm sure my buddy has already read this over a bunch of times.
    and LBCrew - dude you rock

Images
    I've got a 7 week old boy now and have gotten out a couple times. I think the key to keeping up your surfing is really taking advantage of the dawn session.

When are you guys planning on dipping the kid's toes in the water? My father-in-Law is big on "the call of the waves". It's been too cold since he's been born but looking towards next spring.

I can't wait to get him on a board... thinking somewhere in the 3-5 yr range.

Three is waaaayyy out of the question for me. I was an only child of a single parent. I feel crowded with just a wife and dog in the house. In college a crowded house was fun... but that was college. At this point 5 people (3 of which constantly need my attention) would be my own personal nightmare.

I feel like I would enjoy one kid. Kinda like the dog, you can share responsibility easily. Beyond that I dunno. Maybe once I have one I'll understand why people want big families. We used to go on vacation with family friends who had two kids. The kids would fight the entire vacation. I was miserable and couldn't wait to get home. One kid = no fights = peace.

I think I was dancing on a longboard in a tidal pool by the time I was 2.
    my opinion is as soon as its warm enough to get in, get them out there and onto something that floats.
    legit surfboard, guess it depends on the kid

Images
    Depends on the woman you married!!! I was surfing the weekend the baby got home.. Mom, Mother-in-law (aka Mom #2) all should help out.. 2 or 3 hours in the water shouldnt be a big deal. Getting a good surf in will help you stay calm and focused when those long nights kick in. On the other hand if your surfing 6 days a week and neglecting your wife and child your a douche!!!

I went surfing the day my daughter was born while Mom and new baby were fast asleep. It was a very special day. Surfing that day made it even more special. Of course I surfed like a kook because I was exhausted from being up all night holding my wife's hand while she was in labor. My father-n-law even took video of me surfing! The only thing I can say about your buddy refraining from surfing is not to do it! You gotta make time to surf and once you have a family, everything changes. But it's not that bad. Your plate needs to be wiped clean for the times there are waves, and then you can go surfing. Make sure everyone is happy and your business is taken care of, then you can surf. Don't treat surfing as if it's a burden to someone. Surfing is a gift and it's what keeps me fit and sane. I don't play golf. I'm not in a stupid fantasy football league. I don't hang-out at the bar all the time with buddies. I don't gamble, drink a lot, or abuse drugs. I surf when there's swell with a handful of close friends, period. If you truly surf, it will be part of your life as long as you can stand on a board. You need to make your loved ones understand that. Just remember what Spicoli said: "Surfing is a way of life, not just some hobby...". Those words couldn't be more true even though they were said by a fictional stoner surfer. I probably just invalidated everything I just wrote with my Spicoli quote. Oh well.

Images
    i got 2 little mookettes i adore. WHen they are fresh newborn mooks they take up alot of time especially when the wife needs it.

I sold my boat and my kayak and stopped fishing about 3 years ago just to save the sliver of time I can afford to surf instead, and I live and work at the shore.

kids

I am getting ready for #1 in February. If you know me, I play all day. I run, swim, surf, cycle, kayak, row, fish and then do it again. I know, I know, things are going to change for me real real real soon...and that is what everyone keeps telling me over and over and over!

Quote Originally Posted by OBlove View Post
    I am getting ready for #1 in February. If you know me, I play all day. I run, swim, surf, cycle, kayak, row, fish and then do it again. I know, I know, things are going to change for me real real real soon...and that is what everyone keeps telling me over and over and over!
    Ya me to,Feb 18.In monmouth Medical Long Branch.Im making deals with wifey in advance about surf time.Won't be surfing when shes in thou.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post
    I have a 4 month old baby. haven't surfed as much as I would like. It definitely changes your lifestyle a bit.

But, like said above if she is understanding...and family is around....go charge!
    Pleaseee tell me your not making your kid a jet fan.