LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Localism Article

Great perspective on localism around the world from a traveling surfer/writer.<br /><br />http://www.surfnewsnetwork.com/featured/localism-and-surf-rage-happens-in-every-country-heres-a-good-article-that-puts-some-sense-back

‘This is one of the last secret spots round here,' the longhair said pointing at the line-up. ‘Don't want word getting out to the masses.'

‘Got no argument from me,' I replied.

-- Seems like the author is just fine with a little territorial localism when it's his break, just not when it's yours or mine.

I can't open the link. Is anyone else having trouble opening it up?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    I can't open the link. Is anyone else having trouble opening it up?
    here i fixed it
    http://www.surfnewsnetwork.com/featu...ome-sense-back

"Take a breath. Respect each other. Respect the waves."

I'm glad that this quote will mark my 100 post milestone.

Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    "Take a breath. Respect each other. Respect the waves."

I'm glad that this quote will mark my 100 post milestone.
    That is awesome for 100!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    That is awesome for 100!
    Greatly appreciated, rcarter. 101 goes out to you.

I agree with much of this article but not all. Surfing is the only thing I know of where the people that live nearest the resource (the ocean), pay the taxes to maintain the roads near the resource, use the resource to make a living, clean up the resource on a regular basis, give up larger incomes to be close to the resource etc and yet are not allowed to take some sense of ownership in the resource. If this is how things work then everyone from here has the right to show up at some random skatepark stuck in the middle of the country, when the temperature and sun is just right, when the cutest girls are hanging out and take it over, displacing everyone who uses the park everyday, and expect to be welcomed like conquering heros? And we can do this even though we can't skate for crap but just because the skatepark is on public property? Doesn't sound right does it?
    Last edited by Zippy; Jul 17, 2012 at 08:01 PM.

not even reading it. Reading is for kooks. I'm better than you.

I suck at surfing, not gonna lie. I surf as much as I can and I am getting better. I also live at the beach (see Zippy's comment), but whenever I see a buch of boards in the water I just keep walking until I'm alone. I get the "stoke" philosophy, I also get that some people have put in the time, have the scars and been around long enough to look at me and say, "Not this one, bro, this one is mine". I don't want to be that person, although if I'm honest, I know there will be a day when I get all snarky with someone who is out there just trying to get better...kind of like I used to be.