LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    3,354
    Quote Originally Posted by rDJ View Post
    Well I can't speak for others, but I don't feel I am entitled to anything I don't work for. However, I do expect others to share if we are out there together. That's just common decency. So generally speaking, yes I do expect them to let a wave go through if they took the last one and we are sitting close together. I expect politeness. There's nothing communist about that.
    you say that you don't feel entitled but then go on to say that you expect to be given waves. sounds like entitlement to me.next time you are out, try this: when someone gets a wave, immediately position yourself to get the next one in the set, that way you did the work necessary to get your share of waves.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    1,366
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    you say that you don't feel entitled but then go on to say that you expect to be given waves. sounds like entitlement to me.next time you are out, try this: when someone gets a wave, immediately position yourself to get the next one in the set, that way you did the work necessary to get your share of waves.
    i don't know if i've ever been in a serious lineup where people expected to be given waves. this sounds ridiculous. on a good day, the current will determine who is sitting where

  3. #33
    i paddle around people/past people all the time and here's why.

    1) NO ONE EVER SITS ON THE PEAK. being a shoulder hopper is for limps ****s.

    2) i'm sorry but this isn't a democracy. if you can't catch the waves or make the drop take up tennis or something.

    3) i lived in my town for 26 years. If i want to paddle around you, tough ****.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MonCo NJ
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    you say that you don't feel entitled but then go on to say that you expect to be given waves. sounds like entitlement to me.next time you are out, try this: when someone gets a wave, immediately position yourself to get the next one in the set, that way you did the work necessary to get your share of waves.
    Yes and when I do the work to position myself to take the next wave I would expect that the person who took the last one doesn't paddle right back next to me and paddle for the next one as well.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    i don't know if i've ever been in a serious lineup where people expected to be given waves. this sounds ridiculous. on a good day, the current will determine who is sitting where
    Having grown up surfing LBI, then AC, and then Western LI, I was always under the impression that he who worked the hardest got the wave. Then I moved to Ocean City. Apparently, the older locals don't want to work for their waves. I've gotten dropped in on after I do the work to stay at the peak, then get yelled at by these guys who think they own the place because they have surfed the spot for more years than me. The worst offender is the Chief of the Ocean City Fire Dept, Charlie Bowman. He makes 130k per year in government cheese, and extra 10k for working more than 40 hour weeks, he gets all of his gear free from Heritage, he bloated the payroll of the OCFD to the point where there are 62 full time employees in a town with no fires. Then, he has the nerve to try to intimidate me, my friends, and the other locals whose tax money puts food on his table and a roof over his head. If you see this bully, who makes $62.50 an hour straight out of the People'es pocket, try to intimidate anyone please stand up for yourself. These types tend to be all bark and no bite.

    http://oceancity.patch.com/articles/...omment_1690820

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MonCo NJ
    Posts
    355
    My town, my waves, blah blah... That's more of an entitlement attitude than sharing. And who said anything about current? Whatever...

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    3,354
    Quote Originally Posted by rDJ View Post
    My town, my waves, blah blah... That's more of an entitlement attitude than sharing. And who said anything about current? Whatever...
    I think you really ought to explore taking up golf or tennis.

  8. #38
    I think its as simple as this... if you intentionally drop in on someone.... then you're a ****. Do it to a guy like me, who only obeys the dont drop in on someone rule, enough times then I'll snap you and your board in 2 pieces. LOL. No Im not like that. But for reals... the only rule worth considering is just dont drop in on someone who is already up and going. Other then that.... the lineup order is not what it use to be. And frankly, where I surf, its miles of pretty much the same sand bar break with only slight differences between them.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatelongboarders View Post
    i paddle around people/past people all the time and here's why.

    1) NO ONE EVER SITS ON THE PEAK. being a shoulder hopper is for limps ****s.

    2) i'm sorry but this isn't a democracy. if you can't catch the waves or make the drop take up tennis or something.

    3) i lived in my town for 26 years. If i want to paddle around you, tough ****.
    and you sir are an azzhole. take the extra waves bro, you need them!

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    3,354
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    I think its as simple as this... if you intentionally drop in on someone.... then you're a ****. Do it to a guy like me, who only obeys the dont drop in on someone rule, enough times then I'll snap you and your board in 2 pieces. LOL. No Im not like that. But for reals... the only rule worth considering is just dont drop in on someone who is already up and going. Other then that.... the lineup order is not what it use to be. And frankly, where I surf, its miles of pretty much the same sand bar break with only slight differences between them.
    Don't forget the 'don't paddle back out to the shoulder when someone else is on the wave" rule. this is just as bad as dropping in.