LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf Trip South

Surf Trip South

Hey Guys,
    A friend and I were planning on going to Costa Rica for a week in February as a senior year trip, but now we can't leave the country because of complications...We're trying to figure out a place to go now within the US and US Territory. We've only surfed beachbreaks and sandbars and some rock breaks, so we're hesitant about the reefs. Any thoughts?

go to Rincon Puerto Rico..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfislife View Post
    go to Rincon Puerto Rico..
    ditto... Don't need a passport to Puerto Rico, since its a US territory.
    When I first started surfing reefs, I remember being a little sketched out, due to the unknown risk, but you'll get used to it. Puerto Rico happens to have some really sketchy reefs at some of the spots, so there's ample reason to be cautious... Once you get a little used to the break, you'll become more aware of how to handle yourself on the reefs. You'll figure it out, but its lways a good idea to bring a first aid kit on surf trips.

And, once you get used to surfing reef, you'll love it.

Images
    Good time of the year for PR or HI- surf the reefs- you will thank us later! (just don't try to stand up after you get worked on the inside- swim to your board)

Images
    never been on a reef either but Hawaii and Puerto Rico. If you'er down for some cold water, head to CA. They have some really fun swells during winter

Puerto rico is amazing, im from texas, never surfed rock or reef before. Had a great time and the best surf of my life. Never ounce bounced off the reef, how ever I did punch it the first time I paddled out duck diving cut my hand up.locals are cool just show respect. I would also talk to who ever is at the break and fi.d out where to go out and where to come in at, alot of the places I surfed had a really shallow inner reef with lots of urchants. west coast is awsome and the north is pretty good as well. Good luck

So many good places in the world with reefs... don't miss out and confine yourself to beachbreaks.

Hit up PR. And tell whoever the "complication" is that crime does not pay. Passports are golden

Alright thanks guys, I've been looking at Rincon. Does any one know about the board rental situation? The airline fees are so much these days, if there's a good amount of boards down there it just makes it a lot easier. Also, how's the wind down there that time of year?

Images
    Board rentals are available but it might be hard to find a modern hi performance stick. Bic type long boards are available, but you may find a performance board at the dive shop near Maria's--I haven't been in there lately. Also check out the shop at the Harbor shopping center also.
    Winds in Feb. are unpredictable but the Rincon side is fairly well protected.
    Watch where others enter and exit the water and use those only.
    You might find some very crowded lineups. It'll still be peak season in Feb. and lately it's been packed at the Maria's area. Some would say saturated!