LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surf Trip South

Mar Azul has a nice selection. Rent for the week and you can exchange as needed.

Images
    Personally I have learned that it might be a better idea to bring your own board. I have spent too much wasted time (when the waves are going off) trying to find a board to my liking. Then when the swell gets big and good- you really want a board your comfortable with... just my thoughts from my experience...

Although- if you can exchange the board for another during the week- it might be worth it...

Images
    Although I am biased, Southern CA is a great winter option. Nice weather. Dead wind or santa ana offshores. The beachbreaks and reefs all work, pretty much all the time depending on tides. All you need is a 3 mil and no other equipment. Tons of $100 boards on craigslist to buy and sell before you leave, or all the local shop will rent you a decent board. About $15-20 per day... Best thing about doing it in San Diego would be that you can drive north to LA and Trestles one day, and then you and your friends can drive right over the border to mexico without a passport. Just take your rental car, or walk over the board with your boards and take a bus down to Ensenada. If you are in the car... Stop and surf one of the dozens of world class points and reef in between the border and Ensenada. Stay in the Fontina Inn on the main drag in Ensenada. $30 a night for two large beds. You can lock your car IN the hotel right in front of your room, so is secure and safe. You and yours friends can drink and party down there, legally, and then head back up the coast the next day. All the bars and "discos" are within blocks of that hotel....

Anyway, just another option for you so you can actually leave the country and have a quick little adventure.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Although I am biased, Southern CA is a great winter option. Nice weather. Dead wind or santa ana offshores. The beachbreaks and reefs all work, pretty much all the time depending on tides. All you need is a 3 mil and no other equipment. Tons of $100 boards on craigslist to buy and sell before you leave, or all the local shop will rent you a decent board. About $15-20 per day... Best thing about doing it in San Diego would be that you can drive north to LA and Trestles one day, and then you and your friends can drive right over the border to mexico without a passport. Just take your rental car, or walk over the board with your boards and take a bus down to Ensenada. If you are in the car... Stop and surf one of the dozens of world class points and reef in between the border and Ensenada. Stay in the Fontina Inn on the main drag in Ensenada. $30 a night for two large beds. You can lock your car IN the hotel right in front of your room, so is secure and safe. You and yours friends can drink and party down there, legally, and then head back up the coast the next day. All the bars and "discos" are within blocks of that hotel....

Anyway, just another option for you so you can actually leave the country and have a quick little adventure.
    You need a passport to go to mexico now and you can't take a rental car to Mexico......

Images
    How about OBX NC? only 15 hours drive south. did it a few times, plent of campgrounds

OBX has the potential to be good, but keep in mind it is the Atlantic. If there is swell it would be way worth it, but most likely it will be hit or miss. Plus camping out there in the winter can be pretty cold, and some campgrounds close for the season. Id say PR or CA is going to be the best options.

buy some reet booty. your feet will thank you