LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jtblue18 View Post
    There must be a lack of swell, considering you guys are posting novels
    Must not have gotten any moonlight barrels last night...
    Last edited by LBCrew; Dec 9, 2011 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Yes... the question I can't find an answer to is are they becoming the same? The SURF fashion industry is promoting the urban image more and more these days. Is this in response to the culture of surfing changing and becoming more \"urban\" in image, or is the promotion of the urban image by surf companies just reaching out into a new demographic and culture to make more money, and changing surf culture?

Just an observation, has any one else noticed some "higher end" department stores carrying more of the Surf Shop Brands (fashion) if so, might validate your last statement of "urban" image crossing over by Surf companies.

I think the surf fashion industry like any fashion industry latches on to what's popular at the time, and the hip hop look has been extremely popular. I remember all the new wave neon pinks and greens of the 80's with shorts WELL above the knees being cool and that look faded so if kids latch onto something else the surf industry will follow suit. I am amazed at how long this current urban look has ben going on for though,

sort of on this topic:
    I wonder how you guys define a kook. I started surfing in February of 2010. I am obviously still a beginner and on top of that I live two hours away from the beach. I am therefore a kook?

I am the kid who paddles hundreds of yards away from any other guy or the lineup to stay out of the way. I read both both surfing and surfer from the library. I'll drive two hours to go to the beach just to visit my grandparents and paddle when its flat. Most importantly I have never worn Hollister. Someone please enlighten me on what and who a kook truly is

Quote Originally Posted by zaniac07 View Post
    sort of on this topic:
    I wonder how you guys define a kook. I started surfing in February of 2010. I am obviously still a beginner and on top of that I live two hours away from the beach. I am therefore a kook?

I am the kid who paddles hundreds of yards away from any other guy or the lineup to stay out of the way. I read both both surfing and surfer from the library. I'll drive two hours to go to the beach just to visit my grandparents and paddle when its flat. Most importantly I have never worn Hollister. Someone please enlighten me on what and who a kook truly is
    Don't sweat it dude, you're fine, I'm a newb too and started last Sept and pick up tips from my friends or people I meet. You don't need to surf in isolation but stay out of an organized lineup unless you know everybody than its cool (some etiquette). I talk to some of the older surfers and the common theme is having fun, and the best surfer is the one catching the most waves etc.. There's older posts on here about what peoples opinion of a kook is so look that up. I picked up on the culture/history by research, hanging w/people that surf and reading some posts like the ones here and just be yourself in water. I met a guy the other day who big time surfs here and abroad and he did not look like he just walked out of coastal edge... Peace

Images
    It is what it is. Just surf.

Quote Originally Posted by marknel83 View Post
    It is what it is. Just surf.
    True. Except you can't surf on a surf forum. The whole point of a surf forum is to have discussions about surfing. If you're gonna come on a forum and say 'just surf' why come on at all? Just surf, right?

Images
    surfing culture has turned into aggro, expensive, and full of kooks. It almost looses its fun when you have to deal with some of those people in the water.

What is Modern Surf Culture?

Modern is defined as "of or relating to the present or recent times as opposed to the remote past."

Culture is defined as "the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively."

And because it is relevant, Trend is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

So one could argue that no matter what surf trends rise or fall, they are all part of the one surf culture. Modernly speaking, one could say that the easy going ways of the 60's are or are not part of the culture today, but this comes down to what we view as "old". But whether you are the guy out there strictly for shredding and leaves the surf image at the beach, some yuppie who wears "kooka shells" or the old school laid back hombre hanging loose who carries that smoothness where ever they may roam, it is all one.

"The term (culture) was first used in this way by the pioneer English Anthropologist Edward B. Tylor in his book, Primitive Culture, published in 1871. Tylor said that culture is "that complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, law, morals, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society."

IMO, surf culture is whatever you perceive it to be.

P.S- I feel like I'm writing an English paper over here hahahaha damn finals week.

What is modern surf culture? Gay. Just be you. Tight pants or baggy pants. Athlete or stoner. benign or agro. Beginner or loc dog. Airs or turns. Long or short. Just watch out for the corporate BS. Its necessary evil but don't let them tell you how to be. Just be you.