LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Got the pork frog in the summer. Super high performance in little surf, a thinner board but makes up for it in width. This thing is really fast and also has a 5-fin setup. I ride it up to about solid chest-shoulderish high surf.

Quote Originally Posted by kielsun View Post
    I know it's not what you're getting at here, but I really think everybody should have a longboard in their quiver for the knee high days, maybe with a pintail for ease of turn.

If you insist on a shorter board, though, I'd talk to somebody local instead of paying a bunch of money for a board that won't last as long or work as well in our surf...

A pintail is the LAST thing you want if you're looking for easy turning.

I got a 5' 10" gary wilson sc fish. It's a sick board and goes well in everything I've taken it out in (knee-Head+) If you're going with a local shaper GW is a good one.
    Last edited by ccoastnative; Feb 14, 2012 at 01:21 PM.

to each his own....

Images
    Get a longboard..... No other board comes close for small waves. You'll be riding while all of your friends are sitting on the beach saying.....Wish I had a longboard.

I have been reading this one closely because I recently gave away my retro fish to my little cuz to learn on.

Only problem is that I'm not 14 and 130lbs. Lets talk small wave boards for a real man (mr. T voice over)

Mini Simms VS Catch surf beater VS retro fish

GO

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    I have been reading this one closely because I recently gave away my retro fish to my little cuz to learn on.

Only problem is that I'm not 14 and 130lbs. Lets talk small wave boards for a real man (mr. T voice over)

Mini Simms VS Catch surf beater VS retro fish

GO
    Probably not all that helpful but:

Retro...I've never really thought of retro fish as a small wave board...parallel rails, twin pin tails, keel fins...for me that shape has always been about going fast down the line on a steep wave.

Catch Surf Beater..never ridden.

Mini Simmons...yeah amazing board for soft mushy waves under waist high. Will paddle into and glide on anything that will move a longboard, and be more fun at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    I've never really thought of retro fish as a small wave board...
    Yea... I always figured it got that reputation because it was the first wide, thick, flat shortboard that earned mass acceptance. People were familiar with the design and it's proven performance, so it's regained popularity in today's generation came as a fairly natural alternative to the thin, chippy, performance shortboards that have their obvious shortcomings for less than average waves being ridden by less than proficient surfers. The fish was not the first of this type of alternative, but it was the most legitimized... nobody thought you were crazing taking out a fish on a knee high day like they might have if you were on a simmons or plank type shape 10 years ago.

I think the twin keeled retro fish, with a few subtle modern tweaks, could be the most versatile shortboard design so far. But maybe that's another thread...

Images
    Get a longboard..... No other board comes close for small waves. You'll be riding while all of your friends are sitting on the beach saying.....Wish I had a longboard.
    I Guarantee my 5'6" could ride 99% of the waves a longboard could ride and like mitchell said have 10 times the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Retro...I've never really thought of retro fish as a small wave board...
    I rode that board knee-stomach high surf for years and would argue otherwise. I'm about 90% set on getting another exactly like it, if I don't do a mini simmons this time. I'm worried that I'm too fat to ride a beater at 190lbs.