1 1.32%
  • SANTORUM

0 0%
  • HUNTSMAN

1 1.32%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    You obviously haven't been paying attention. Obama has equalled or surpassed Bush in environmental deregulation (which is a complete non sequitur seeing that much "regulation" is actually just ideologically based *feel good* nonsense that is conjured, bred and passed with little introspect into the future unintended consequences of said regulations. See OBX National Parks service's record and the Magnuson Stevens Act {even thought that was signed by Bush but now progressed by leaps and bounds due to Obama's appointment of Jane Lubchenko to NOAA} as prime examples). Not to mention Obama's preference to giving NGO's more power to set rigid ultimatums in legislation with no real culpability or oversight.

"The mess Bush left behind.": A complete hyperbole direct from the Democratic Kool Aid mill. Look, politics and recent American History DID NOT START WITH BUSH, contrary to general Dem belief. You need to go back to at least Carter to even begin to see the big picture of our economic problems of today.

"...the mess he had to clean up and got blamed for." Umm, I do believe Obama will go into history as one of the most divisive and buck-passing president in our recent history. You can't go around making excuses left and right then turn around and take wholesale credit for something like getting Osama Bin Laden.

There is nothing *fresh,* *successful,* or *changey* (or any other feel-good word the pr mill decides to ascribe to Obama) about Obama's approach. Most is just politics as usual, a lot of which is merely Chicago-style buddy-buddy cronyism (ie the second round of bailouts, push for "shovel ready" infrastructure projects and federal intervention into private enterprises like Boeing's decision to expand into South Carolina getting shot down).

I'm not saying any of the Repub. candidates necessarily offer a stark contrast (except maybe Paul) to American politics-as-usual. But if you truly believe that Obama has been and will continue to be a "good" President, I have this new color of lipstick you can try out on that pig of yours.
    Exactly!....

I was gonna reply to 'respect the ocean'...but then just figured he was a 16yr old kid or just some stoned out 20 something. So what was the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    You obviously haven't been paying attention. Obama has equalled or surpassed Bush in environmental deregulation (which is a complete non sequitur seeing that much "regulation" is actually just ideologically based *feel good* nonsense that is conjured, bred and passed with little introspect into the future unintended consequences of said regulations. See OBX National Parks service's record and the Magnuson Stevens Act {even thought that was signed by Bush but now progressed by leaps and bounds due to Obama's appointment of Jane Lubchenko to NOAA} as prime examples). Not to mention Obama's preference to giving NGO's more power to set rigid ultimatums in legislation with no real culpability or oversight.

"The mess Bush left behind.": A complete hyperbole direct from the Democratic Kool Aid mill. Look, politics and recent American History DID NOT START WITH BUSH, contrary to general Dem belief. You need to go back to at least Carter to even begin to see the big picture of our economic problems of today.

"...the mess he had to clean up and got blamed for." Umm, I do believe Obama will go into history as one of the most divisive and buck-passing president in our recent history. You can't go around making excuses left and right then turn around and take wholesale credit for something like getting Osama Bin Laden.

There is nothing *fresh,* *successful,* or *changey* (or any other feel-good word the pr mill decides to ascribe to Obama) about Obama's approach. Most is just politics as usual, a lot of which is merely Chicago-style buddy-buddy cronyism (ie the second round of bailouts, push for "shovel ready" infrastructure projects and federal intervention into private enterprises like Boeing's decision to expand into South Carolina getting shot down).

I'm not saying any of the Repub. candidates necessarily offer a stark contrast (except maybe Paul) to American politics-as-usual. But if you truly believe that Obama has been and will continue to be a "good" President, I have this new color of lipstick you can try out on that pig of yours.
    Wow!
    I wonder if politicians (who have never surfed) arguing about Slater vs. Irons would sort of sound like that.

Quote Originally Posted by South Bethany View Post
    Wow!
    I wonder if politicians (who have never surfed) arguing about Slater vs. Irons would sort of sound like that.
    Please explain where in my post it shows even the smallest inkling that I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not too sure what you are trying to get at...

Before even saying anything, let it be known that I am much further left on the political spectrum than Obama, so I am not speaking from the viewpoint of an Obama "supporter."

In fact, I agree that there may be little to no difference between President Obama's environmental policy and the environmental policies of previous presidents, but I would submit that is not because he doesn't want them to be. In Obama's case, he entered the presidency with a heartfelt desire to be an agent of change for our country. Whether or not you agree with the changes he would've like to see, I think we can all agree that he genuinely desired to change things. However, the tides of Washington seem to crush even the most zealous and idealistic men and women, turning them into "business as usual" politicians. This now unfortunately includes Obama.

That also doesn't mean that Obama is the same as Romney (or other Republican candidates) and it certainly doesn't mean that his beliefs about protecting the environment are the same as theirs. Everything, and I mean everything is currently being sacrificed in the name of job creation. It's a short-sighted approach, but it's the reality of what's happening. If Obama tried to push environmental regulations through Congress, Republicans would claim that doing so would eliminate even more jobs, and they'd be right in the short-term, so what is he supposed to do? Classic "rock and a hard place" situation, if you ask me.

A president is only 1/3 of our government, and thus he or she cannot change things alone. Republicans in the Senate and House have filibustered their way through the second half of his term and completely crippled him from introducing any form of legislation, even when compromises are attempted. Stomping your feet and throwing a fit (AKA filibustering) without offering any viable alternatives for how to go forward isn't productive, it's childish.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kielsun View Post
    let it be known that I am much further left on the political spectrum than Obama
    That's scary bro. I respect your opinion though, everyone is entitled to one. The problem is, the change he's talking about is in direct opposition to what this country was founded on.

Quote Originally Posted by kielsun View Post
    A president is only 1/3 of our government, and thus he or she cannot change things alone.
    Erroneous! Our (unpublished- except for his memoirs) constitutional law professor President has done his best to thwart that antiquated system and sidestep that pesky congress.

As "someone much further left on the political spectrum than Obama" could you enlighten us all as to when & where that system or philosohpy has been most successfully implemented- keep in mind you will want an example that we can compare to the US of A- the best attempt at self governance and individual liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Whaler View Post
    Erroneous! Our (unpublished- except for his memoirs) constitutional law professor President has done his best to thwart that antiquated system and sidestep that pesky congress.
    Which one hasn't? You've being naive if you think he's the only one. Also, it's not particularly important to me that our President hasn't been published.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Whaler View Post
    As "someone much further left on the political spectrum than Obama" could you enlighten us all as to when & where that system or philosohpy has been most successfully implemented- keep in mind you will want an example that we can compare to the US of A- the best attempt at self governance and individual liberty.
    I'm actually not very interested in naming examples of other countries with different systems and arguing about them on this forum. However, I will say that individual liberties, while I'm thankful for them and believe they're incredibly important, are not the end-all-be-all for me if only a small portion of citizens truly possess the tools to exercise those liberties and live out their dreams. In other words, I am less concerned about the millionaire who gets taxed a bit more than I am about the hardworking couple who can't afford health insurance for themselves and their kids.

If our country were smaller and everyone had his or her own plot of land and a cow, I'd be totally fine with the idea that everyone has to fend for him or herself. I just don't think that it's feasible to exercise a live and let live philosophy within such a gigantic structure (i.e. the nation-state). Besides, I'm happy to share with others (by paying taxes or otherwise) and I believe that I am at my best when I'm working with other people and sharing resources to mutually better our lives. No, I'm not a communist. I simply believe in sharing and taking care of others when they can't take care of themselves. And no, I don't believe the nation-state is the best way for that to happen, but since we're talking about the 2012 elections, let's keep this discussion confined to that line of thinking.

My point about Obama being unpublished as a law professor goes along the lines of his 150+ "present" votes. It points out the unprecedented vaguery of his experience and philosophy as a candidate and the, to borrow a phrase, "willful suspension of disbelief" given to any question about his background and associations by the media crowd chanting "change".

This quote, by an anaonomous Czech citizen makes the point succinctly:

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".

9. Voting for anyone in the current field besides Ron Paul is simply a vote for the Banks, Primary Dealers, and Defense Contractors to continue running the country. If you're okay with Financial Institutions and Weapons makers running the country, then vote for the one you'd want to drink a smoothie with. Otherwise vote for Ron Paul. But the best option is to Vote to Stay Above the Weather.

unfortunately a vote for Ron Paul might as well be cast in the toilet- you will end up with one of the other two choices