LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Tamarindo Costa Rica

So... I'm booked for Costa Jan 15 thru the 23rd. Staying in Tamarindo. I'll be surfing just the mornings, sunrise until 9AM. any suggestions on the closest place to surf with the smallest crowd? any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Grande is a standout wave compared to Tamarindo itself which in my experience has always been half the size of Grande at best- but there will be crowds- the second peak at Grande might be your best bet as the crowd thickens between first light and 9

Playa grande is a good alternative that is close by. It could be crowded but is usually spread out along different peaks up and down the beach. If your surfing that early in the morning crowds shouldnt be that much of a factor in tamarindo, The main crowd usually starts heading out at about that time in my experience.{9:00} The night life in tamarindo sometimes gets the tourist so their was only a handful of dawn patollers when i was there in early december

Agreed, you shouldn't have a problem in the mornings with crowds at all, people go nuts there and not a lot of people do dawnies. I've been there 4 times (each time a different month) and this has always been the case. Check the rivermouth as well.

Try Avellanas - its about a 1/2 hr drive, but that is because of the roads...it really is close otherwise. We didn't surf the "Little Hawaii" break - we kept driving another mile or so and surfed in front of Lola's Bar. It wasn't big when we were there, but pretty good... Not at all crowded, and there is a guard in parking lot that will watch your vehicle for tips.

http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/avellanas/ - try this link for a nice map of the area...

Images
    Thanks for the replies guys. Only issue is I'm going on my honeymoon and I plan to surf early before the wife wakes up (with her permission of course) I guess I need to surf the best break within 5-10 min by car. How far is Grande by Car?

Grande is about 20 mins by car have to go around the river mouth.or you paddle across and low tide or take the boat taxi for a buck then walk a bit not sure which is faster. Grande gets crowded!! IF there is swell check tamerindos river mouth I was there in July and it was really good but there was a big swell.. Other than that tamerindo isnt the best for quality but could be fun.. You have to go check out Negra it shouldnt take you long to drive there in dry season. Also Avellanes, and Langosta. Short drive.. Good luck. Are you taking your future wife to Arenal and the Hot springs?? If not you should.

Grande only breaks at high tide also so dont waste your time if its low in the morning. must be mid tide or higher! and if this falls at sun up expect 20 others out at first light.

Quote Originally Posted by bauer View Post
    Grande only breaks at high tide also so dont waste your time if its low in the morning. must be mid tide or higher! and if this falls at sun up expect 20 others out at first light.
    That was the case for me when I spent 3 days in tamarindo. I surfed at the southern end of town (in front of the Capitain Suizo) and each day low tide was dead flat. It was significantly less crowded there than at the rivermouth.