LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    I think you run in to these problems less and less as the water gets colder, lately I haven't really had any problems with people paddling around or being wave hogs. Last Thursday I was out for about 3 hours and didn't have one problem with any of the other guys out. I gave a few guys waves when I was in better position just because I could see they wanted it and they returned the favor, giving me a few as well. Surfing is so much more fun when there's a good vibe in the water.

I just let em have it if they're paddling for it. Then you can go. Its less about rules and more about learning to play nice. I hate this ettiquette crap. everybody surfs different, some people like to paddle alot and get it early some people like to take off late. If you miss it, its up for grabs. You could just put yourself in that position if you know someone is going to miss it. It would be better to make lemonade out of lemons than try to make lemons into oranges. This stuff makes me feel like I need to bring a lawyer with me to the beach. Dont be that guy. Seriously, Im not condescending, but you might as well paint white stripes and your wetsuit and bring a whistle.

I admit I needed a flow-chart to get a picture of the entire scenario. Nonetheless, I think surfing with a crowd is kind of like merging onto a busy highway. Regardless of the rules, someone is going to bypass them, there are going to be bad drivers etc. When it comes to our precious commodity you've sometimes just got to do what comes natural. Sometimes letting another guy have a wave, getting dropped in on and not saying anything or stuffing someone because you've run out of patience. After almost 20 years of surfing I opt for the less crowded break to keep my sanity in check and blood pressure down. I love surfing alone whether it be a beach break in Virginia or an outer reef in Hawaii.

Personally, if I'm too deep, I don't go, and give the next guy down the line the wave. I don't chase a peak around another guy, just because I have priority. But that's just me. I'll give the, "all you brother" and take the next one.
    Good call. I hate when the boys are too deep and do the last second pull back without telling someone to go. Wasted wave for everyone. I have the flaw of giving folks the benefit of the doubt as far as making it & it takes a lot before I'll burn anyone. If your not gonna go or make it don't be a d!ck tell someone else to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post
    Good call. I hate when the boys are too deep and do the last second pull back without telling someone to go. Wasted wave for everyone. I have the flaw of giving folks the benefit of the doubt as far as making it & it takes a lot before I'll burn anyone. If your not gonna go or make it don't be a d!ck tell someone else to go.
    Exactly! I do the same thing. Then, I get tired of them wasting waves, so I finally just go. Then I end up dropping in on the fool.

I'll give someone two chances. After that, you need to just move down the beach a bit.

Its simple whoever has inside has the right to go. Whether he was out first or not. If your gonna shoulder hop than don't expect every good wave. That's how I see it, And that's how I react

Today I had a similar situation. I was sitting out about 20 yards further out then this group of dudes. A left is coming in... The group behind me is not on the inside. But one guy starts paddling to the inside while still about 15 yards closer to shore from where I am. By the time I'm up and going he is now on the inside but still paddling for the wave. I'm into a bottom turn and he finally stands up and then cuts back into the foam ball as I continue riding on... And he was behind me closer to the peak. It could have looked like I dropped in on him... But I don't see it that way. I see it as he was trying to snake into the the inside priority spot even though he probably knew I would be up before he was. His waste of energy... My ride.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    I see it as he was trying to snake into the the inside priority spot .
    You see it right...