LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Firewires

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Long Branch
    Posts
    366
    Images
    3

    Firewires

    Why does anyone ride any other board than a firewire? I'm on my 3rd one (I change boards frequently) and I had each one for about 2 years and they just never ding. When I sold them they all looked very close to the day i bought them. They ride the same as PU boards to me, I'm just curious what the downside is

  2. #2
    cookie cutter boards.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crystal Coast,N.C.
    Posts
    399
    Images
    24
    You must have an Angel watching over you!!! The man that makes my boards does FW warranty work and always has one in his shop getting repairs from dings, delams, bad boxes, etc....Tells me they are junk. Some people are just harder on boards than others. Count your blessings!!

  4. #4
    I've had one since Aug 2009. It survived many a good session, a couple of trips on planes, and yesterday when I landed square on top of it.
    I think the construction is very durable and lasts a good while longer than PU boards. Maybe I just lucked-out. I'd buy another one. Keep in-mind, most boards are "cookie cutter" boards. Boards these days are made with robotic shaping machines using tried and true specs...Kind of like Firewires.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    central li, topsail island nc
    Posts
    171
    have 3 right now.. ordering another soon.. been riding them for over 8 years.. no problems.. love them

  6. #6

    ggiimmmee the el fuego

    Quote Originally Posted by darippah View Post
    They ride the same as PU boards to me, I'm just curious what the downside is
    they definetly dont ride the same as PU boards...firewires are much more responsive under the feet.

    the downside is the price, especially since they are made in thailand.
    ( source - http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/te...hid=faq#faq110 )

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Carolina Beach
    Posts
    843
    Images
    1
    I love my Firewire. I bought it used, it was buckled and I had it repaired and its been my go to board ever since. Almost going on a year now since I got it. It even got washed into a jetty once last winter and didnt even get dinged!

    I'd like to check out a Coil sometime for my next board, they are supposedly really durable as well and are made here in the states, based out of Florida I think. Regardless, I think alternative constructions that are more durable and last longer are the way to go.

  8. #8
    ive had lots of diff boards all diff construction many of which were hand shaped in USA... however IMO firewires are sick, love my dominator and alternator. plus they are durable enough to kitesurf with when the wind is up (i know a bunch of narrow minded losers on here will whine "well why would you do that, kitesurfings not a sport, who cares blah blah") try that with a pu board itll snap in 5 min. and they last 3x longer than a pu board so the price is worth it. not to mention if u ever manage to actually break one that u loved u can go get the same damn board which is nice. and for the record, the same "hard core surfers" who cry about FWs not being hand shaped in America prob drive foreign cars, watch tv on foreign made electronics, wear clothes made in asian sweat shops by little kids, and occupy wall street and their mom's basement

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by darippah View Post
    Why does anyone ride any other board than a firewire? I'm on my 3rd one (I change boards frequently) and I had each one for about 2 years and they just never ding. When I sold them they all looked very close to the day i bought them. They ride the same as PU boards to me, I'm just curious what the downside is
    My reason is...COIL.

    Hand shaped, to my specs, in the USA with the same durability and flex characteristics as a FireWire.

    I'm a bigger than average surfer, and off the rack PU boards were not holding up for me. Off the rack boards don't usually fit my size/shape/tastes either. I can get a coil tweaked to my liking.

    That said, I looked long and hard at firewires before I went with coil. I'd still like to try one. I've heard mostly good things about them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by salt View Post
    I've had one since Aug 2009. It survived many a good session, a couple of trips on planes, and yesterday when I landed square on top of it.
    I think the construction is very durable and lasts a good while longer than PU boards. Maybe I just lucked-out. I'd buy another one. Keep in-mind, most boards are "cookie cutter" boards. Boards these days are made with robotic shaping machines using tried and true specs...Kind of like Firewires.
    Most are, but would you rather have a big named machine shaped, robotic board like the firewire or dumpster diver? or would you rather go a few blocks down the road to your local shaper and getting a 100% locally handshaped, board that actually has a signature stating the this was a genuine creation..... not to mention the fact that cookie cutter boards are a general board, meaning they're made for a general populous. if you want something that will ride best in your local surf conditions, then going to someone who has local knowledge would be the smart option. Al merricks and firewires are just as good as the chinese popout version of canyon surfboards.