LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drive Time

Drive Time

Just curious, how many have a lengthy drive to get to the break? I know some are fortunate and are a stones throw / bike ride from the ocean. Personally, I'm about 90 minutes, depending on season and time of day. Interested to see the lengths some are willing to go to get out. Once you get that bug, you can't get rid of it.

Images
    40 miles, mostly freeway. That means that sunday morning it took me 30 minutes or so to get down there because there is no traffic, but if I head out this morning by myself it'll take me close to two hours.

30 sec bike ride, 1 min skateboard ride, 2 min walk. Driving?

15 minutes and looking to move closer...

Images
    2hrs and 45 min

Images
    15-30 mins depending if i go out to the lighthouse or not, but in the summer 20-40 mins

4 hours. its always worth it though.

Depends on the day. But i can pull out of the driveway on weekends and surf VB and be checking the North End in 15 -20 minutes. Weekedays I leave from my work takes about 30-40 minutes in traffic. If i tried to leave my house to go surf on a weekeday afternoon after 3:30 probably take me an hour or more. Around here if you have to cross a waterway, bridge or tunnel in rush hour you just add another 30 minutes or more to the commute. But once you have kids you have to live in the best school district you can afford.

Swell in Nags Head I can be down in about 1 hour and 45 minutes to the south end of Nags Head to my spot.

After being born and raised minutes from the beach, I went off to college (Rutgers) and it was an hour each way. Then I got my first career type job and it was still an hour each way for another two years. Then I went to graduate school in Michigan and for four years I only surfed once or twice a year. But those were the years I was paying my dues, and now I live 3 blocks from the beach. It was a big sacrifice, but now I'm set for the rest of my life.

So do what you gotta do now, brother. One day it will pay off.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Jan 9, 2012 at 01:58 PM.

Yeah LB, I dont mind my commute to surf, of course i would love to be 3 blocks but honestly my kids love the community, the schools. A bonus is my wife works at one of the schools as a teacher that my youngest daughter goes to. My wifes commute is 3 minutes to work so it all works out. when theirs waves the coomute isn't the problem usually, its the job that keeps me off swell.