LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Winter Duck Diving

Yesterday I duck dived a wave and something really strange happened; it felt somewhat like I had created an air bubble around my face as I duck dived because I didn't feel the bite of cold water on my face/forehead even after reaching the surface. Maybe my hood visor helped somehow?

Does anyone change their approach to duck diving in the winter to avoid / minimize the brain freeze?

The only thing I really do to adjust to cold water is better time my paddle outs and try to avoid duck diving all together.

Lol... Dude... What do you think the lid on the hood is for? Certainly not a sun visor.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Lol... Dude... What do you think the lid on the hood is for? Certainly not a sun visor.
    wait, is that really what it is for?

You should just walk out on the jetty and dive in after a set. Dont ever duck dive in winter your head will explode for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    wait, is that really what it is for?
    Well it's never blocked sun from my eyes and I do deflect water from my face when going head first through a wave... Lol.

Images
    yep, try to keep your head tucked in more and you'll get less water inside your hood.
    A flushed hood is no good...

I completely change my game plan in the winter, its all about avoiding the duck dive. I have come to master the technique of waiting till last minute, busting through the lip with my head turned back towards shore, least water penetration! Its always funny watching guys do the craziest manuevers to avoid going under.

Quote Originally Posted by mgarbutt View Post
    Its always funny watching guys do the craziest manuevers to avoid going under.
    LOL, I saw a guy last winter dive over and half way down I guess he realized it was january, full on belly flop was FN hilarious!!!

i have one of those hoods built into a rashguard but the part that is sopposed to be tucked underneath the wetsuit is too short and the hood always comes untucked making me look like an idiot because the neck of my hood is on the outside of my wetsuit

bodyboardNJ: Hey brother. The neck of the hood on the attached rash guard/hood is actually supposed to go over the neck ofthe wetsuit. You might try folding it up when you are putting on your wetsuit, and then cinching the neck good and tight, and then folding it down over the neck of the wetsuit. Works for me! Aloha!