LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Be patient, wait for a lull, then paddle your brains out. If you get have to get under one, turn your head to the side or keep it tucked in as stated before.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Lol... Dude... What do you think the lid on the hood is for? Certainly not a sun visor.
    Ha well I guess I needed someone to say this because all my life I thought it was there primarily as a sun visor.

if the water is in the low 40's i pretty much won't go out if the sessions gonna require a lot of duck diving. i remember paddling out once on a good head high day and went under the first set wave and thought 'damn that hurt.' then the second was like, 'okay i think i killed some brain cells' and then the third i thought my head would implode. as the fourth wall of water approached i just turned around and let it push me in while my brains dripped out of ears.

it's weird though. 42 degrees is sorta my cutoff point for duck diving. 43 not so bad, 41 and lower is like death. i swear, one degree makes a big difference for me.

Oh the visor is so key. I even trim it to make it just right. I lower my head more in winter to trap air under the visor and blow bubbles out of my nose on the way up to protect my face from cold so I can stay down longer and get under bigger swells. That way I make it through and have to duck dive less. I've even put my visor against the deck of my board and trapped air between the deck and my face. It lets me stay down enough to get under waves and not dragged back with out freaking from the cold being under longer. Really only works so much though.

Use your crotch

Neoprene face mask with the hood on. Keeps your cheeks warm and makes you look like a ninja or an idiot. Depends on how you look at it.

Images
    There is a certain angle you tilt your head and it helps alot with the visor deflecting it. I dont know how i do it exactly but if you surf in the cold enough you will definately find out haha.

Quote Originally Posted by surfer666 View Post
    Oh the visor is so key. I even trim it to make it just right. I lower my head more in winter to trap air under the visor and blow bubbles out of my nose on the way up to protect my face from cold so I can stay down longer and get under bigger swells. That way I make it through and have to duck dive less. I've even put my visor against the deck of my board and trapped air between the deck and my face. It lets me stay down enough to get under waves and not dragged back with out freaking from the cold being under longer. Really only works so much though.
    Thanks for the tips, seriously I never had a clue about this!

definately tuck your head down toward your board. The visor really helps keep your face clear of water. paddle around the wave rather than through the set. Choose smaller days to winter surf so your on top more. putting vascaline on your face also helps and creates a nice seal between your skin and the hoodie. I just purchase the new quick dry vested hoodie from Rip Curl! Wow is it nice and warm and fits the face great!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VBVA View Post
    Neoprene face mask with the hood on. Keeps your cheeks warm and makes you look like a ninja or an idiot. Depends on how you look at it.
    wait... you can do that?? That sounds like a bad idea, I have never seen anyone do that. It sounds dangerous