LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Florida in Terms of Consistency

Hello !

ive been Thinking of moving near Melbourne Area, for some career changes, i see there is some surf there, but one thing i seem to cannot find is real hard numbers for consistency...

for me , consitency,is more important than size of swell.
    quick example:

A) Spot has, of 7 days, 3 with reallygood waves, but 4 that suck and are not ridable
    B) Spot has of 7 days, 5 with rideable waves, though not as good as A)

i would prefer spot B), because i like to surf every day.

So how is Central Florida in Terms of consistency ? Of 7 Days ( one week), how often would there be surfable waves ?

Surfable = wave has somekindof a shoulder, and you can train maneuvers like cutback,snap,offthelip,airs etc, with a typical smallwave shortboard.

Would be really cool if some locals could tell a bit
    greeeetings, and happy new year !

Images
    Heck Backfire if you tell me where i can find 3 out of 7 or even 5 out of 7 days a week where there is surf i'll move there myself...lol...unfortunetly florida is not the place to be, although we have our moments during hurricane season or a north swell from a front moving offshore in the winter... consistency is not here, maybe 2 out of 10, maybe. Melbourne area to Cocoa Beach is a decent place to be though, there are many sandbars to choose from and the people are pretty laid back...well good luck to your future and hope this answered some questions...peace

Images
    Maybe 1, and if you're lucky, 2, every two weeks or so. Start visiting the Sebastian Inlet web cam (http://www.surfguru.com/florida-surf-reports), and just track or do a screen grab of the waves each day. Within a 30 day period (depending upon the season of the year and then adjust for hurricane season) you'll have a pretty good idea about how consistent, or inconsistent it can be. And for the record, EVERYWHERE experiences flat spells, sometimes quite extended ones, so you have to be willing to endure them no matter where you go, but I guess since you're listing No. California as your locale, then you already knew that, and what you are really looking for is warmth.
    Last edited by MDSurfer; Jan 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Added web link

Images
    I will agree MDSurfer, i will, for the first time this season bring out the 3/2 wetsuit for some hopefully shoulder high waves wednesday, yes, warmth is the reason...it is nice...lol

I was gonna start a similar thread because it looks like I am moving there (Jacksonville) in a few months. Ugh. The comments so far don't give me much hope for consistency or quality. O well. Bet its a super cheap plane ticket to the Caribbean.

Images
    St. Augustine and Jacksonville may actually be a tad more consistant, but they are also somewhat colder in the winter. Probably the best waves I came across were at Spanish House above Sebastian and Anastasia State Park near St. Augustine, but the air temps went down to 32 in the campground that night in Anastasia. 3/2 wetsuit was still the order of the day.
    Last edited by MDSurfer; Jan 3, 2012 at 04:36 PM.

Florida blows, i lived there for a year. The waves are weak and the swells never last very long. I can remember many times when a swell will just disappear with the tide and never return, like a fart in the wind. But it is warm.

random swells with not very ideal conditions.

get ready to be shark bait

well well. i am not from california originally, by the way, just spent some time there !

Thanks for all the answers !!

Basically it sounds like florida is crap for surfing. im just a bit disappointed now, since i was on vacation at melbourne area some years ago, and allthough it was summer, we had some waist-high fun days back then.

just as an experiment: if "waist" high, ( 1-2ft) is minimum size to have some fun, how often would there be rideable days ?

does not have to be clean,glassy etc..just enough size to be barely shortboardable.

dont wanna be a pain in the ass, but its just that , regarding my academics education , i would have some really nice options in florida, and i liked the weather and people and nature when i visited!
    on the other hand, surfing is a hobby i really do more than enjoy, meaning that i want to spend some time in the water everyday ( if thats possible )

by the way: i checked st sebastion webcam everyday now for 30 days, im not sure what to think. i saw some rideable stuff, but almost no people surfing there...anything wrong with that spot ? forecasts been pretty ****ty the last weeks, just 1 ft crap though.
    Last edited by backfire; Jan 31, 2012 at 02:41 PM.

Try NSB. It is certainly no secret the inlet usually has a wave when the entire coast is flat... That's why you'll be surfing with 200 of your closest friends. That's not entirely a bad thing as it's the shark attack capital of the world.Still, I like the place.

best of luck ~