LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post
    I was gonna start a similar thread because it looks like I am moving there (Jacksonville) in a few months. Ugh. The comments so far don't give me much hope for consistency or quality. O well. Bet its a super cheap plane ticket to the Caribbean.
    Jax isn't that bad, used to live and learned to surf there, and I may be making the move back, depending on how my job here in VB goes. IMO, the Jax/St Aug area is just a little bit more consistent, but a lot more surf friendly than VB. No surf zones, leash laws, free parking. Plus you're only in a suit from Dec to March. Also you get swells from all directions, which make for more 'surfable' days.

Plus you can do a quick strike to the Caribbean or Central America. Flying out of Orlando, round trip to PR avg's $200 and CR for about $350.

Plus it's cheap to live there, haha

St. Aug is not too bad but my prob is that it's good surf throughout the week than dies down on the weekend. Ive learned to deal with the inconsistant surf and just be a tourist when the waves are down. Theres always skateboarding LOL.

Images
    I always heard and thought the atlantic side of florida was a very reliable wave. I also heard the top spot was new smyrna for consistancy. Only thing about florida is that the temps in the summer are insane and it is crazy sharky. but the cheap plane tickets to the carribean are a legit pro if you have the funds/comp time/flexibility to do so. also, look at it this way, you are a cheap plane ticket from the carribean but only 2 hours from obx. You should look up a city review on the living conditions in the area. I found a website called citydata.com which is basically a forum which people ask what's it like living here and there and people who have lived in the area questioned give their opinions. Some are a bit extreme or relaxed since it's opinions, but it gives you a general idea. I read it before I moved to va beach and I have to say that some people over reacted with the crime rate here. I could see in some areas being pretty bad, but most of it is kind of common sense. If you live in a bad area, don't walk around in the middle of the night with your freshly cashed pay check on you...uh duh. And if you do decide to be risky and walk around at 3am for no reason, it's a open carry state, so carry that desert eagle .50 cal on you like it's a bright orange and yellow lightning striked shortboard in the 90's
    Last edited by super fish; Feb 1, 2012 at 12:19 AM.

I just moved an hour and half north of melbourne to flagler beach. Its been inconsistent this January but other than that Ive gotten chest high or bigger surf about 2 to 3 times a week since mid august. I've gotten some good days. Summer time without hurricanes might be an issue. Id go for it. The water temp is 65! Some guys are skinning it in January.

Images
    Working in 8a-5p in Melbourne / Palm Bay Florida, your "in the water every day" quick strike before /after work options are beach breaks in the Melbourne Beach and Indiatlantic areas. http://www.surfguru.com/florida-surf...ntic-boardwalk

I lived there working a day job in the aerospace industry for 18 months, surfing as often as possible. I would say I got wet 10 days out of every month. If you plan to get in the water more often, make sure to find a place out on the islands - you can find decent year-round rentals and be 5 minutes from the surf instead of 30.

It is NOT Cali or even OBX. It's generally mixed-up short period windswell, two or maybe three turns on the good waves. Rarely, at the right spot on the right swell, there are ramps to be had, or longer chest-high lines. You can find barrels during Hurricane season, or on a good Northeast, and you will never need more than a 3/2. It is not particularly sharky around Melbourne (compared to NSB and other points south).

It is warm in the winter and god-awful hot in the summer, and populated with some of the redneckest crackers you'll ever meet (and I live in South Carolina now...).

The vibe once you hit the lineup tho is generally mellow unless you plan to charge 1st peak Sebastian.

It sounds like you're not too concerned about getting a job in your field (which is unusual right now), so I say go for it, and if you don't like it, send your resume out again and move somewhere else.