LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what board should i get??

Well I have been surfing for about 20 years Im now 39 years old. The problem is that while I was in the Military for 10 years I didnt surf at all about 1 1/2 years ago I got a 7' 3" Greg Lohr surfboard is kinda of a performance fun shape. Now Im getting tired of this board it feels like Im surfing a log. When I was 18 I surfed a 6' 3" short board. Now I looking for a new board I surf mostly in Florida Im 6ft 195lbs does anyone have an idea what i should be looking for. I was looking at the 7s superfish but I have heard there kinda suck and there made in China. Any help would be great Thanks.

Mike

Images
    I have seen those superfish and think they look really nice. I have also heard that they ride great too especially for a Chinese pop out. I'm almost exactly your height and weight (more muscle than fat) and I ride a bing dharma that I love. I have 2 of them a 6'0" and a 5'6" , I prefer the 5'6" . I don't really ride a shortboard so don't have any advice on that.

Images
    Check out the Aloha Bean i got one recently and its a real fun board.

Thumbs up

not to hijack, but zippy how do you like the bing daharma? checked them out, looks like a fun A.I. board in my mind.

Images
    the super fishes are crap...I would suggest getting a longboard or a performance fish

Images
    I love the Dharma. I rode my 5'6" in Ocean City on the 28th and it was a little wierd on those steep barrelling waves but it was doable. Definitely better in rounder waves.

Thanks for the info I to wold say more muscle than fat that Dharma floats you ok? I really dont want a long board Im like an 18 yo stuck in a 39 yo's body I need something that will turn good and feel a little lose. I figured a short board might not be the right choice Im looking for something that floats good but still surfs good. I will check out that Dharma.

Thanks again its good to see that you can get some good info on here.

Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    the super fishes are crap...I would suggest getting a longboard or a performance fish
    Yeah I disagree with that statement. I have a superfishxl. It's not my main board but on occasion I surf the superfish and its everything it's described to be. It paddles easy, it's fast down the line and it's pretty maneuverable. Works better as a thruster though. Probably why people don't like it as a fish. But that being said... I'd contact rusty.com and see what they could put together for you.

Images
    I'm an year 18 old trapped in an 46 year old body so don't feel bad, lol. The 5'6" floats me fine but I like smaller boards and have had people say "Dude thats too small" . It would depend on what your riding with it. I frequent a more mushy rounder wave so it's perfect. If you were primarily surfing a steeper beach break it might not be right. Like I said i surfed it on December 28th with no problem. Even took my 6'0" out after Iren passed and surfed some barreling waves that day with not much problem other than dropping in a little further out on the shoulder. Other than the difference in skill level I did notice my friends with tru short boards dropping in earlier and getting barreled far more than me since I always tend to out race the lip on these boards. They are super fast and loose.
    Last edited by Zippy; Jan 5, 2012 at 03:06 AM.

You didn't mention where in Fla you are. There are a ton of good local shapers throughout Florida. Nielsen in Cocoa Beach area and Jim Dunlop around Jax are 2 that come to mind. Talk to a shaper and they can help you probably more than guys on a message board.
    JTS