LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Gloves/Booties

Need recomendations on new winter gloves/mittens and booties (5 mil).

I use Xcel 5 mil gloves and Xcel drylock 7 mil booties for winter surf. I'm toastie. They are the best. 7 mil is much better than 5 mil for booties and very light. The Rip Curl F bombs are also nice and warm. Just purchased their hoodie!

I absolutely HATE my Xcel drylock 5mm lobster claws. Do not buy them. They're warm, comfortable, and better than regular gloves or mittens, but putting them on is by far the worst part of every session for me because of the drylock system around the wrists.

Images
    i've been been wearing 5mm xcel drylock gloves the last couple of winters, and they dont really impress me. They're warm enough but i found the drylock seal a pain in the a$$ and it got torn up pretty fast fighting with it. Hyperflex gloves truly suck. Sorry...guess thats not real helpful.

Recent winters I've tried xcel 7 mm roundtoes, xcel 5 mm. split toe, and the O'neill 5.5 mm psychofreaks. The O'neills are really warm and light. I liked the xcels too but found the 7 mm. roundtoes a bit much for Delmarva winters. Warm as $hit, but overkill.

how do you guys put on your gloves? i have 7mm xcel drylock mittens, and i can get one on and put my wetsuit over it, but i cant do it for my second glove and need someone to help me

Quote Originally Posted by kielsun View Post
    I absolutely HATE my Xcel drylock 5mm lobster claws. Do not buy them. They're warm, comfortable, and better than regular gloves or mittens, but putting them on is by far the worst part of every session for me because of the drylock system around the wrists.
    I have 7mil xcel drylock mits and they take no more then 10 seconds per glove to put on.
    you have to turn the wrist section out over itself which opens up the glove. put your hand in, then with your other hand... or forearm... just pushing one area back to its normal state makes the entire piece snap back.

Does anyone know where to get booties in a size 15? I can't find my size anywhere. Do any of you all know of a company that does customs? I have mammoth feet I know.

Quote Originally Posted by NJSwell View Post
    how do you guys put on your gloves? i have 7mm xcel drylock mittens, and i can get one on and put my wetsuit over it, but i cant do it for my second glove and need someone to help me
    Instead of pulling your sleeve back tryrolling it up a couple times. When you roll them down it usually goes over the mittens fairy smooth. I use 7 mil mittens when it's really cold and that's the easiest way I've found.
    I bought the new ripcurl 7 mil boots this year and my feet were cold after a two hour session. Had the exela last year and they were much warmer but did not last long.

Quote Originally Posted by NJSwell View Post
    I saw a random surf video online and a guy was using one of these to help get the wetsuit over his gloves:

http://www.amazon.com/DaKine-Hammer-.../dp/B000K71MCS

A bit expensive for a tool to help put gloves on, so I took a wire hanger, and bent the ends in like the top of that spreader bar. Definitely helps to get the sleeve over the glove.

I just got some new gear for xmas:

xcel 7mm round toe booties
    west 7mm mitts

Might seem like a bit much for delmarva... but I dont have great circulation to my extremities, so every bit helps.

The xcels were really nice. I tried them last weekend (was anxious to try them) and don't even think my feet got wet. They didn't feel any more cumbersome than my older 5mm o'neills. Much harder to put on though.

As for gloves, the 6mm hyperflex mitts are ok for the price. The cuff is a little loose, making it that much harder to get your suit over them. Water gets into them really easily, and won't get out so you end up with real soggy hands. I also have Bodyglove 6/4 vapor lobster claw, but those are basically useless since my index finger gets numb after about an hour. They have a nice strip of soft material on the top to wipe your nose. Don't know how good those Wests are yet.

just got Xcel 5 mill dryolock lobster claws and 7mill round toe boots. i love them. super warm and i dont seem to have much of a problem getting them on and off. and yeah hyperflex gloves and boots suck. i bought a pair back in the fall to get me out of a tight spot and i wanted to throw them out after the first time i used them.