LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Drive Time

Images
    ya know i was thinking, dam these fools come from a long way!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    Just curious, how many have a lengthy drive to get to the break? I know some are fortunate and are a stones throw / bike ride from the ocean. Personally, I'm about 90 minutes, depending on season and time of day. Interested to see the lengths some are willing to go to get out. Once you get that bug, you can't get rid of it.
    30-45 mins depending on which spot is working on any given day. Some days I work about 10 mins from a good spot so makes weekday sesh easier. I HATE driving 45 mins for the marginal waves, but I just do it. Speaking of driving both of the last two Saturdays I have surfed with two guys who drove 2+ hours from VA bch to MD for waist high waves. These guys had STOKE.

5 minute walk up the street

Images
    Will travel 4 waves...fortunate I live seven blocks from the beach...granted it's usually thigh high but hey, its the east coast. Only 50 minutes to Wrightsville which is ALWAYS better than thigh high 7 blocks away!!!

Images
    Good thread. I thought Offshore and I had it bad but its reassuring to hear that others travel just as far as we do. For me, size doesn't matter much either. If I can get a swell to line up with a day off or if I can get on it after work I will. Whether its head high or thigh high I'll usually make the 2 hour drive to catch a session. Gotta keep the stoke alive!

6. I live 5 minutes from the beach, but 45 minutes from a beach that breaks and 2 hours from a beach that breaks with any consistency. It's pretty goddamned frustrating...

i live 3 blocks from the beach...but its always closeout shorebreak on 99% of swells. So a 5-10 min drive to a better beach.

2 hour drive from school this fall semester i managed to get my feet wet at least once a week the whole semester. cant complain about that!

Images
    35 min in the off season up to an hour and a half in the summer. Looking to buy a home near the beach soon. Traffic can be crazy inn the summer.

2006-2010 paying dues inland 1hr 45 min. Now maybe 20 setups within 20 mins of my house depending on the swell direction and wind. Closest 3 mins... but 10 mins to some of the more consistent quality breaks. Of course most of these spots require a long paddle out once you get there. I did one last week that required a half mile paddle out on a SUP to a buoy then another 1/3rd of a mile to the top of the reef.