LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Are you there older, middle-aged dudes, it me Margaret. Are you guys getting bored

Dudes, I was going Christmas shopping today and then someone told me that Christmas was over a couple of weeks ago. Wow.... Anyways, I've had Harvey Cedars back in it's glory days......good, swell-magnet sandbars with MINIMAL crowds. I've paid my dues in cold, overhead NE washing machine conditions. I've drifted from 25th St to 5th St in Surf City. I've surfed just north of 14th St in Ocean City where head high plus swells would peel and peel. I've jumped off the stairs at 10th St in OC into the water back when there was absolutely no beach. I've had good Poverty.....Seaside......you name it. Well I do try and stay out of North Jersey for obvious reasons.

Well, I am getting bored.....I'm pushing 40 and these waves here just aren't doing it for me anymore. Also, I used to LOVE the cold.....I used to get aroused when the temps dropped. I loved my 5 mil. Nowadays, I'm starting to not like it so much. Basically I'm turning into a sissy. Oh, I still go out, just with less enthusiasm. Yeah, some swells get the juices flowing but......it is really a rare swell when the winds, tide, sanbars and swell all come together. Lets face it it just doesn't happen all that often here on the east coast. Closeouts.......peaks with no wall......30-50 mph offshores.........flat spells that can last weeks........ Matt Keenan............sandbar killing beach replenishments......Snookie......Is it just me or do others who have been surfing the east for along time get like this too? OMG somebody help me please !!

i don't remember flat spells lasting as long as ones in the past few years. what is wrong with CENTRAL nj?

Move or travel!

Images
    you have to refind your stoke, i was lost but I am back!

yesterday was as good as anywhere in the world right here

I am actually having MORE fun the older I get ... just feel lucky I'm not of my old buds that have gotten fat,jaded and quit surfing beceause they're "too busy" ... Yeah, I get cold easier now,but I have a better suit so I'm all good. I can afford good boards and even the occasional surf trip. Could be worse.
    Last edited by Henny; Jan 14, 2012 at 07:35 PM.

You need a trip. An East Coast trip. Some New England, maybe Long Beach, some Jerz. OCMD, into OBX, SC into South Florida. All as one trip! Go from the 5mil to boardies in a week.

Once you get to Jupiter go to Dune Dog for some brewski's on Rib Night and do a 180.

One catch, you have to bring a buddy who is way more stoked than you.

Rekindle your fire bud. Come on back the water's fine!

uhmm, i feel your pain dude. its been a flat year.

if your down on surfing, id say the last thing that will help you (and us) is to post to others about how your down on surfing.

go skate or watch surf videos, surfing is what you make it good sir.

hope you get out of your funk, good luck

Brother... you're still in your 30s, and you're COMPLAINING!?!??? Sounds like you've got deeper problems than your surfing life. Sounds like you're not at peace with yourself... searching for something that's long gone. You gotta just take it for what it is. Surfing is not a perfect world. It's full of disappointment, frustration, missed opportunities, reneged commitments, compromises, expenses, injuries, sacrifices... But there's those moments of pure bliss that can't be replaced with anything else, and you ain't gonna get them sitting on the couch. You gotta keep at it. The more you do it, the more you want it. Get away from it, and the easier it gets to NOT go out. You gotta keep up your momentum, and remember that it's not the be all end all of your life's purpose. When it comes right down to it, its only recreation. Take it for what it's worth... the sunset, the birds, the way the light moves on the surface of the water, the power and energy of the surging ocean, the seals, the view of the beachfront from the water... a view that only surfers really ever get to see...

I got a new bird dog pup in August. I hunted him all season this fall and didn't get a single shot at a bird. In fact, I didn't even SEE a bird. But I hunted every opportunity I had... up before first light, walking for miles in the cold, frustrated and tired, going home with nothing, every day. But when the morning sun makes every stalk of frosty Timothy glisten like diamonds, and the smell of pitch pine and scrub oak fills your head with every breath... you know the real reason why you're there...

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post

I got a new bird dog pup in August. I hunted him all season this fall and didn't get a single shot at a bird. In fact, I didn't even SEE a bird. But I hunted every opportunity I had... up before first light, walking for miles in the cold, frustrated and tired, going home with nothing, every day. But when the morning sun makes every stalk of frosty Timothy glisten like diamonds, and the smell of pitch pine and scrub oak fills your head with every breath... you know the real reason why you're there...
    Kind of reminds me of striper fishing,You can go out there over and over again and get skunked but its that 1 fish that makes you keep coming back.