LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    I got a new bird dog pup in August. I hunted him all season this fall and didn't get a single shot at a bird. In fact, I didn't even SEE a bird. But I hunted every opportunity I had... up before first light, walking for miles in the cold, frustrated and tired, going home with nothing, every day. But when the morning sun makes every stalk of frosty Timothy glisten like diamonds, and the smell of pitch pine and scrub oak fills your head with every breath... you know the real reason why you're there...
    Well said, thought "bobs" had vanish from the NJ landscape like they have in Delmarva

Quote Originally Posted by SouthjettyBill View Post

Lets face it it just doesn't happen all that often here on the east coast. Closeouts.......peaks with no wall......30-50 mph offshores.........flat spells that can last weeks........ Matt Keenan............sandbar killing beach replenishments......Snookie......Is it just me or do others who have been surfing the east for along time get like this too? OMG somebody help me please !!
    hahaha I know what your talking about....

what about matt keenan?

Images
    Everybody who has replied to this thread is a credit to the surfing community and I'm sure, pilars of their communities. I don't post on internet message boards too often.....but the few sites that I have......I go off. But this one here seems to have some good, decent folk on it.....and it's a surfing message board !! Hey, I believe all stereotypes, and I embrace the "Jeff Spicoli - surfer dude" image. Plus, surfers like to tell everyone else how bad they and their spot sucks. Go look at videos on Youtube and find one without a negative comment. But anyways, you guys are the greatest. I hope you guys on the east coast get some good waves.......some top-to-bottom ones that actually peel longer than ten yards. Hey why don't we all band together and go take over a good surfing location and send all of the locals there, back here..... make them switch with us.......jobs, spouses.....everything.

Friday was good here in Monmouth County. The only reason I was not out was for a concussion I was diagnosed with in the ER the night before. Still feeling out of it and going for a checkup later.

http://vimeo.com/35033339
    Jan 13

http://vimeo.com/35072351
    heck, even the 14th was still decent

Gerry Lopez said it best: "Surf is where you find it." If you're not finding it out in the water, find it somewhere else, but keep searching. When you stop searching, that is when the s#@t will hit your fan.

Ryan

I feel your pain - sort of. It gets so incredibly frustrating at times as you get older trying to get your fill of waves with between the demands of work and family and the east coast's fickle hit and run swells. Several times in the past few years I've been so frustrated I've thought it was be an easier and less frustrating existence to just give it up altogether and take up a hobby I could do more consistently. Even Friday, I had the board on the roof and all my stuff ready to hit it after I dropped the kid off at pre-k. The forecast was perfect. Then the kid woke with a fever and my whole plan went to hell. Now it could be weeks before my window and a decent swell line up again. It is so damn maddening. Your problem, however, seems to be something more profound - that you are not enjoying the experience even when you ARE in the water. I have never, ever felt that and must say it sounds a bit more troubling.

Maybe the incredible pain in the ass it is to get in the water is sapping the fun out of it for you. As some of the folks here suggested, maybe try something else. And I'm not a shrink, but I think that not taking pleasure from activities you once enjoyed is a sign of depression. You should talk it out with a friend, confidant, or a pro. Maybe something deeper is buggin' you. We've all been there, too, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by ragdolling View Post
    And I'm not a shrink, but I think that not taking pleasure from activities you once enjoyed is a sign of depression.
    Ragdolling hit it. No matter how stressed, grouchy, pissy or absolutely impossible to be around I get, even if it's 1foot grovel, it makes me better. If I were you, I would get it checked out.

Heed the other's advice as well and find something to get your juices going again.

I'm not even where I want to be skillwise. I probably need at least 2 sessions a week for the next 3 years to get there. So I try to get out as much as I can, plus I love being out in the water, I feel at home with it. Sometimes I don't even realize that the ocean is salty anymore.

Somebody mentioned that only surfers really get to see that view of the beachfront from sitting in the line--up, thats a cool perspective

"It gets so incredibly frustrating at times as you get older trying to get your fill of waves with between the demands of work and family and the east coast's fickle hit and run swells. Several times in the past few years I've been so frustrated I've thought it was be an easier and less frustrating existence to just give it up altogether and take up a hobby I could do more consistently. Even Friday, I had the board on the roof and all my stuff ready to hit it after I dropped the kid off at pre-k. The forecast was perfect. Then the kid woke with a fever and my whole plan went to hell. Now it could be weeks before my window and a decent swell line up again. It is so damn maddening"

Wow, This quote above could literally have been written by me.... I agree that you might want to take stock and see if something more is robbing your stoke. I still get as excited as ever about surfing...when I can get the time to go and the waves cooperate. I can't imagine that going away. Sounds like it has for you. Maybe take a surf trip and see how it feels in a new better locale for a spell?

Move to California and don't look back.