LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sopa/ pipa

Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    I am going to act like the government and pull the old...until it happens, I am going to sit back and relax
    lethargy is not how the gov't does things, at least not when it comes to "security". w/ the patriot act & others, the people we send to washington have shown time & again that they will use every opportunity to try to strip away our rights. we cannot afford to stand idly by & watch any longer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    lethargy is not how the gov't does things, at least not when it comes to "security". w/ the patriot act & others, the people we send to washington have shown time & again that they will use every opportunity to try to strip away our rights. we cannot afford to stand idly by & watch any longer.
    Yes...and by "I", I mean I am going to sit back and relax. Feel free to protest, hold signs, and not make a difference by yelling, shouting, standing outside of governement buildings, getting pepper sprayed like the those college students, making online petitions, or other such things that never seem to ever work. I am sure you will manage to find some petition that happened to work and make a minimal difference, but honestly the government will do what they feel like doing.

Yes...and by "I", I mean I am going to sit back and relax. Feel free to protest, hold signs, and not make a difference by yelling, shouting, standing outside of governement buildings, getting pepper sprayed like the those college students, making online petitions, or other such things that never seem to ever work. I am sure you will manage to find some petition that managed to work and make a difference, but honestly the government will do what they feel like doing.
    last time i checked, we lived in a representative democracy & those don't function w/out the input of its citizens. my efforts may not be as effective as i'd like, but doing nothing would be even less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    last time i checked, we lived in a representative democracy & those don't function w/out the input of its citizens. my efforts may not be as effective as i'd like, but doing nothing would be even less effective.

It's true if you just sit back and do nothing the chance of this bill passing increases tremendously.

Now with big players like Google, Wikipedia, Yahoo, AOL, Reddit, Facebook taking actions our littler actions to support these big companies actually has a great effect. We honestly can't personally community with the government but I bet you the CEO of google can.

Think of it this way, if we did nothing the CEO of google would show up with his letter saying he doesn't like the law. If we try to help him now the CEO of google shows up with his letter, 1000000000000 signatures, plus other major companies that support the veto of the bill as well.

What one is more effective?

I would go with the 2nd one haha.

of course option 2 would be more effective. but superfish is talking about doing nothing. that's just stupid & dangerous.

Images
    Yes...and by "I", I mean I am going to sit back and relax. Feel free to protest, hold signs, and not make a difference by yelling, shouting, standing outside of governement buildings, getting pepper sprayed like the those college students, making online petitions, or other such things that never seem to ever work. I am sure you will manage to find some petition that happened to work and make a minimal difference, but honestly the government will do what they feel like doing.
    yup, i'm pretty much like you...always glad someone else is there to get passionate about issues but not so much myself....

but not this time. i've never called my congressman or senator in my life, but i did this time. it's clear to me the internet is the greatest free speech mechanism ever devised - no one, particularly not the industrial/entertainment complex, should be able to dictate how it should function. a couple of phone calls wasn't much but it was all i had...and it turns that today, millions of other people felt the same. and they made a difference. support for SOPA/PIPA is collapsing as we speak, under the weight of millions of e-mails, phone calls, signatures etc.

like you, i tried apathy, but today, i just couldn't get into it.

Haha I feel you. The only thing I did today was make phone calls, sign petitions, and write letters to government officials and various companies bashing the SOPA/ PIPA. Having a tech job comes with those advantages haha, well at least mine does.

8. Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    yup, i'm pretty much like you...always glad someone else is there to get passionate about issues but not so much myself....

but not this time. i've never called my congressman or senator in my life, but i did this time. it's clear to me the internet is the greatest free speech mechanism ever devised - no one, particularly not the industrial/entertainment complex, should be able to dictate how it should function. a couple of phone calls wasn't much but it was all i had...and it turns that today, millions of other people felt the same. and they made a difference. support for SOPA/PIPA is collapsing as we speak, under the weight of millions of e-mails, phone calls, signatures etc.

2 thumbs up. I spent the $.25 and called my congressman too. Anyone reading this let me know and I will send you a quarter to call your representative to tell them to oppose the bill.(For those lethargic people, this way you don't even have to leave the couch.)

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    LMAO!

(5 more characters)

Quote Originally Posted by LegendJim View Post
    2 thumbs up. I spent the $.25 and called my congressman too. Anyone reading this let me know and I will send you a quarter to call your representative to tell them to oppose the bill.(For those lethargic people, this way you don't even have to leave the couch.)
    hahahahahaahaha
    ^^ that is dedication there